Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
*Registered
2013 SLK55 AMG
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pick my2013 SLK55 up on Sunday. It's very black (paint, wheels and interior), was wondering if there are any suggestions for adding or improving any aspect of the car. I was thinking about carbon to replace the silver trim inside but that will make it more black ! Other than drive and enjoy it, any suggested improvements, must have, etc ?

thanks
neil

·
Founding Member 2006
108,830 Posts
see my mod albums for some ideas.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
I've got my grey car 'red trimmed' so the roll hoops, door plates, central tunnel trim and ashtray cover are painted Fire Opal red. I'm toying with the idea of doing the seat backs as well a la Audi TTS but they are heavily textured so would require a lot of prep work apparently. I've left the chrome on the steering wheel and vent cowls as it was starting to feel a bit rage-inducing.

I've also seen several cars where the front bumper side ducts are contrasting colours, also the centre strip on the bottom of AMG bumpers is very commonly changed to a contrasting colour. White ones seem to come like that from the factory.

Rear reversing camera kits are pretty popular.

·
Banned
973 Posts
It's a personal thing as what constitutes "improving".
Do you want some black relief, both inside & out?
More blackness perhaps?

Having a black car myself I added chrome effect bonnet fins & door handle tops. This compliments the existing chrome effect side strakes & sidelight surrounds. The result is as per Mercedes might have done which is why I stopped at chrome effect mirror covers!
Have left the silver cabin trim intact & not added to it. Luckily the contrasting red of the seats & door cards lifts the cabin otherwise to my eyes it would be overwhelmingly gloomy.
Red callipers add to the red/black theme.
For an all black exterior I guess one could black the chrome effect bits .

·
*Registered
2013 SLK55 AMG
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the feedback, will start to look seriously at what I do as soon as I pick the car up. At the moment I'm thinking replace the interior trim with carbon, change the bonnet fins to silver and add smart top and a wind deflector. I've seen a couple of pictures of cars with carbon gear sticks but think these might have been on R171 model. I get the feeling I could spend some serious money on this car - saw a video clip of a chap with a exhaust upgrade and it sounded amazing. Will need to start saving !

·
Banned
973 Posts
thanks for the feedback, will start to look seriously at what I do as soon as I pick the car up. At the moment I'm thinking replace the interior trim with carbon, change the bonnet fins to silver and add smart top and a wind deflector. I've seen a couple of pictures of cars with carbon gear sticks but think these might have been on R171 model. I get the feeling I could spend some serious money on this car - saw a video clip of a chap with a exhaust upgrade and it sounded amazing. Will need to start saving !
There is a superb looking carbon gearstick for the R172 - Google search for Mercedes SLK accessories will find it.

·
*Registered
2013 SLK55 AMG
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've finally picked her up. Photos to follow and all I've done is 15 miles from dealer to home. Big smile on my face and all I can say is wow ! What a great car but what a soundtrack that comes with it. I can tell already the eco button will be off all the time and sports mode will be on all the time. Now all I need to do is learn all about the gadgets and gizmos' that come with the car. Looking forward to a long run in her. Not yet picked a name but like my other Italian babies (Ducati's), I'm already stroking her as I walk away and giving her the one last glance over the shoulder as I shut the front door !! Sad I know :)

·
Founding Member 2006
108,830 Posts
Black be bootiful! Enter the March Ride of the Month on March 1st!

·
*Registered
2013 SLK55 AMG
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so it's been a week since I picked the car up and I thought I'd share my first impressions.

1. I can't help but keep glancing at the petrol gauge - I've never experienced a car that uses so much petrol so quickly. I've done all small, local trips and it's showing an average of 18mpg !! Still, if I wanted fuel economy I should have bought a diesel.
2. But that sound - amazing !
3. The paint is terrible, covered in swirls that only become visible when the sun hits the car. I suspect the previous owner used a car wash. Will get that corrected when I've saved a few pence, I'm sure it will machine buff out as it looks perfect when not hit by the sun.
4. Had the media interface cable missing so no Ipod. My dealer (Lancaster in Chelmsford) has been brilliant - mentioned the missing cables, when I popped in today (see below) and was handed a set for free as I left them. Michael Wilson was the salesman and he's been brilliant.
5. My Ipod is too new, I need to source an older generation Ipod !
6. That sound - did I mention it's amazing ?
7. So is the acceleration - I ride bikes, this is close to bike speed.
8. I got wet today, leak in the roof somewhere on the left hand side - lots of water (there has been lots of rain). Took it back to the dealers, immediately offered to rectify and provide a loan car no quibbles.
9. It's a solid car and you can tell the quality when driving. It feels the best car I've been in over the past 35 years.
10. The command system is complex - took hours ready the booklet.
11. I keep touching the car as I walk past it and looking back over my shoulder as I leave it. I've only ever done that with my Ducati's before the SLK. Oh dear, the wife's not going to be happy. Have spent the past week looking at the interweby thingy looking at all the goodies I can buy for the car, all the upgrades I can do, all the accessories the car needs, all the performance mods she will get. This is going to be expensive but very much fun. All I need now is the summer !!!

First week over - I'm in love !!!!

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
I like your earlier idea of adding some carbon (make sure you check out Jeff's galleries), but don't forget to get a SmartTop!
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/121481-what-smarttop-all-members-keep-talking-about.html

... and, yes, buying an SLK can work out more expensive than you first thought, once you start modding! :D

Also, make sure you take 3 pics of your car and enter our March Ride of the Month competition... it's one of the only things you can do for the car that's free (other than getting a datacard - which you've already done)... and with ROTM, there's even a chance of winning a year's free Premium forum membership (not to mention the coveted ROTM profile badge)! :tu:

Reactions: wja96

·
Banned
973 Posts
8. I got wet today, leak in the roof somewhere on the left hand side - lots of water (there has been lots of rain). Took it back to the dealers, immediately offered to rectify and provide a loan car no quibbles.
If this were mine the rain leak would totally eclipse everything else.
Almost the last time rain got through a roof seal was when owning a 1960's sports car so for the same thing to happen in 2016 is unacceptable & beyond belief. Well not quite beyond belief for my SLK also leaked from the same place but Mercedes replaced the entire roof NOT just a few seals.

·
Registered
500 Posts
If this were mine the rain leak would totally eclipse everything else.
Almost the last time rain got through a roof seal was when owning a 1960's sports car so for the same thing to happen in 2016 is unacceptable & beyond belief. Well not quite beyond belief for my SLK also leaked from the same place but Mercedes replaced the entire roof NOT just a few seals.
I guess that's a question of perspective, it sounds like @npb748r 's had a pretty positive experience with the car and the dealers attitude so far, faults can happen at any time to any car, I think their response to the leak is encouraging and does them credit.

and to you @npb748r, I'm glad you're enjoying your new motor, hope the leak gets sorted soon... and 18mpg? my work colleagues Subaru Impreza did less than that and I know which car I'd rather have (even with a leak)! :smile:

·
*Registered
2013 SLK55 AMG
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"I guess that's a question of perspective, it sounds like npb748r's had a pretty positive experience with the car and the dealers attitude so far, faults can happen at any time to any car, I think their response to the leak is encouraging and does them credit."

Perspective is right - I commute to London on a Ducati all year round so am constantly wet !. I have a 1961 mk1 Midget and 4 Italian motorbikes - I know what "not ideal" feels like and have a very full half cup. The attitude from the dealer has been great so far, I've got the car booked in for 15th March - will wait and see what they find but my thinking is more about the positives than negatives - it sounds and goes amazing !!! Will let you know when the problem is sorted, as I'm sure it will be. Did I mention how good it sounds by the way :grin:

·
Banned
973 Posts
"Will let you know when the problem is sorted, as I'm sure it will be. Did I mention how good it sounds by the way :grin:
I'm sure it will be sorted, after all it's not an unknown fault. Good luck.
As for the swirl marks as you indicate a machine buffing by yourself or a detailer will sort it, then you just have to be aware that using lots of water & the 2 bucket method will be required to keep further swirling at bay.
There is lots of advice too about getting a really good 'wet' look which works so well on a black car.
By the way you never said how your car sounds!!!!:wink:

·
*Registered
2013 SLK55 AMG
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
roof is sorted, no issue with the dealer who was pleasant and funded the lot. According to the warranty, they found the leak, had the entire roof off, replaced the seals and added extra sealing stuff - they said was a standard fix on the known issue. Just picked her up again after 5 days at the dealers and she's sitting outside my home waiting to be pampered and driven !

·
*Registered
2013 SLK55 AMG
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Paint is now sorted, the guys at New again in chelmsford had it for a few days, it now has a mirror surface with perfect finish. Had a ceramic sealant put on her. Great service and very professional, they now have me as a customer for life, can't recommend them enough. Need to wait to save some money before doing anything else, so far I have purchased the sales brouchor for the year of the car, a book on R172s, an AMG key back plate thing, the OE mesh wind stopper and sorted the paint. Roof was sorted under warranty. Next items on my list are AMG mats, AMG collapsible umbrella, the made to measure luggage, silver bonnet fins, chrome scrollbar covers and I'm in 2 minds on carbon interior trim. At some stage I will get the exhaust note increased (removal of secondary cats ?). Am sure there will more to come. Love the car !
Neil

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.