Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking as the 55's are basically a mix of off the shelf parts from lots of models. Is there a factory Mercedes model that came with an LSD that we could also use on the 55?

If there is we could potentially be looking at a cheaper way to get an LSD by getting the part from a wrecked one.

I noticed the 55s in the us use an extra heatsink on the differential which is also fitted from factory to several c63's. So if the heatsink fits the back plate which seems to be the same could there be more similarities?

There are other things like ratio etc we also need to look into but let's start "possible candidates" first

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I was thinking as the 55's are basically a mix of off the shelf parts from lots of models. Is there a factory Mercedes model that came with an LSD that we could also use on the 55?

If there is we could potentially be looking at a cheaper way to get an LSD by getting the part from a wrecked one.

I noticed the 55s in the us use an extra heatsink on the differential which is also fitted from factory to several c63's. So if the heatsink fits the back plate which seems to be the same could there be more similarities?

There are other things like ratio etc we also need to look into but let's start "possible candidates" first
There is only one differential listed for the SLK 55 (part# 203 350 85 64 w/3.06 ratio) so no LSD option directly available. That is the same and only diff used on the C 55 AMG (203.076 chassis).

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,726 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
:Banane41: my quiafe lsd, but i haven't tried the other 2 for an apples to apples comparison. if anyone has an otherwise stock 2007 slk 55 amg with either a wavetrac or kleeman in the bay area and wants to do some testing... :rb

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I can speak for the Quaife. Here in the Puget Sound, wet roads are more the norm. In some situations, a safety protection. I've had mine installed for 4 years now. I think it was worth it for me.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Cost update

I believe I paid 1200.00 (US Dollars) and about the same for the install. No gear noise, no issues. I would recommend a shop that does this kind of work as their core competency.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts