Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
i heard somewhere that porsche is gonna make an affordable porsche.

But i thought the boxster was considered affordable porsche, aka poor man's porsche.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Revival of the 914

I also read that in fact all premium German brands are downsizing and going to try to target the compact and sub compact market. For instance with the Audi Q2, BMW X1, GLA....

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Makes me think of my old Porsche I had in the late 70's - sure miss the old girl...:(

Attachments

·
One Man, One Engine
551 Posts
I looked into a Boxter before deciding into getting my 1st SLK a few years back (I'm a poor man too). Porsche "nickels & dimes" you for every feature you add to the car making it unaffordable when it is all said and done. That was a major turn-off for me. They do not a have any pressure to sell, so their attitude is "if you're not willing to pay, walk away".

If anything, this will be a very basic car that will require a massive build to make it at least enjoyable. I think in this vehicle class, the SLK is the best value for money.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
i heard somewhere that porsche is gonna make an affordable porsche.

But i thought the boxster was considered affordable porsche, aka poor man's porsche.
Poor man's Porsche was when it was first introduced. The new ones are not cheap. The Boxster S may have an MSRP of $63,000 but with all the options you want can easily get to $85,000 and more. Similar to the base Boxster, starts at $50K but plan to add about $15K worth of options. Porsche does nickel and dime you to death. The new Boxster GTS starts at $75K but it comes with all the popular options for the other models as standard. So it's somewhat a bargain.

I find Porsche targets and entirely new crowd now, the rich that doesn't care if they drop over $100K on a Cayenne turbo, Macan turbo, or a Panamera. Most doesn't even know what a 911 is. Porsche is the most profitable car company in the world and they don't seem to care about the enthusiast anymore. They already pissed off a lot of loyal Porsche fans with the SUV and family sedan. Most of Porsche buyers today buy Porsches to feel special b/c they are out of reach to the average person. To add an affordable Porsche to the mix would not be good for their ego. The enthusiast doesn't care, make a cheap and light sports car, go back to basics, but with a manual top? I'll pass.

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
......The enthusiast doesn't care, make a cheap and light sports car, go back to basics, but with a manual top? I'll pass.
Jai,

Does that mean you would pass on the Alpha 4-C?

From Car & Driver two days ago.......

"First up, the stunning 4C’s price tag. The Launch Edition coupe will cost $69,695, while the regular 4C, which goes on sale in the fall, will start at $55,195. Keep in mind that the Launch Edition’s serious price premium comes thanks to a bevy of optional included extras, as well as the special edition’s rarity: Just 500 of the cars will be sold. Another detail that slipped out is the 4C’s claimed curb weight, which in the U.S. will be just 2465 pounds, by the manufacturer’s estimates. That’s seriously light, albeit as we predicted, it’s also heftier than the European-spec model. Our car wears standard knee and side airbags and comes with air conditioning, all of which tack on the extra pounds.

We’ve only driven the Euro car, but even saddled with some love handles, we expect our version of the 4C to still be a transcendent drive. It’ll get the 1742-cc turbo four (transversely and mid-mounted) making 237 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque, as well as the six-speed dual-clutch automatic and manual (!) rack-and pinion steering. Buyers can choose from six paint colors: Black, Rosso Alfa, White, Basalt Gray, Rosso Competizione, and Madreperla White. Were it us checking options boxes, either of the two Rossos would be the way to go.

Four as-yet-unpriced option packages will give buyers even more variety. The Convenience package adds cruise control, a premium sound system, a security alarm, and rear parking sensors. For lusher interior appointments, there’s the Leather package, which brings leather-wrapped seats, instrument and door panels in either red or black colors. The Track package looks like a must-have choice, given that it comes with unique front and rear anti-roll bars, performance-oriented shocks, a flat-bottom leather and microfiber steering wheel, sport seats wrapped in either black leather with microfiber inserts or full red leather jobs, and a choice of several different wheel styles. Finally, the Exterior package comes with a rear spoiler, Satin Titanium–colored door mirrors, and three different wheel choices.

While we wish the 4C were slightly cheaper, there’s no question those who buy it will be satisfied. After all, you’re getting a brand-new, mid-engined sports car with a carbon-fiber monocoque that’s built in Modena, Italy, for about the same dough as a run-of-the-mill Chevrolet Corvette Stingray. We rest our case."

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Steven, the 4C has crossed my mind but I feel like it's going to be another Lotus type car, very fun to drive on a short distance or on the track. Very punishing for daily drives to and from work. I guess I will never know, doesn't appear to be many 4C's out there for test drives. I've read they have selected all the US dealers and will be ready to placed orders soon. With only a dealer an hour from here, not sure if it's worth the risk if the car becomes problematic. I do like the styling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts