Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the previous owner of my SLK jacked up the rear with his suspension “upgrades.” I measure 27.5 inches from the ground to the highest point on the rear wheel arch. (Tape measure pressed against the tire sidewall.) What is yours? Thanks!

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,650 Posts
post a picture

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Mine measures 25 3/4 inches :grin:
There is a lot of potential in this statement, are you bragging ?? >:D

Mine measures 26.5 " , it is slightly further up than it was >:D .........................

but I've just fitted new rear springs and 4 dot spring seat rubbers to hike it slightly, when the V8 goes in it will squat under hard acceleration, I'm hoping it will settle down slightly, if not it won't take long to try a set of 3 dot seats :wink:

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes maybe it’s the aftermarket springs. I thought the mechanic said he took out the spacers. But I also have the wrong tires on the back. They are 245/50/16 instead of 225/50/16. I know this makes the tires wider, but are they taller too? Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Yes maybe it’s the aftermarket springs. I thought the mechanic said he took out the spacers. But I also have the wrong tires on the back. They are 245/50/16 instead of 225/50/16. I know this makes the tires wider, but are they taller too? Thanks again!
Yes, abt 3/4 inch.

It's a ratio between width and sidewall.

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Yes as @Terminal has pointed out, you have 50% of 245 (122.5mm) as opposed to 50% of 225 (112.5mm) :tu:

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Yes as Terminal has pointed out, you have 50% of 245 (122.5mm) as opposed to 50% of 225 (112.5mm) :tu:
Having said that, whilst the rear end of the car will sit 10mm higher, it also has 10mm more rubber all the way around the rim so you'd expect the wheel/tyre combination to fill the wheel arch a little more snugly than OEM if anything, which still points towards the springs or the seats as previously mentioned ..

·
Registered
852 Posts
Certainly looks odd to me. The car looks like it is stuck on a sub frame.
The stock tires on the 230 and 320 are 205/55 x 16 front and 225/50 x 16 so they are more or less the same diameter.
On the SLK 320 Sport they are 225/45 F and 245/40 in the rear 17 inch
The SLK32 AMG runs 225/40 18 and 255/35 18.

A 205/55 16 and a 225/45 17 are to all intents and purposes the same diameter (24.9 vs 25), the wall heights are 4.4 vs 4.0 and revs per mile vary between 811 and 808

A 225/50 17 is theoretically 24.9 x 4.4 revs 812 and a 245/40 17 24.7 x 3.9 revs.

I didn't run the numbers on the SLK32 but I am reasonably confident the diameters will work out very close to these numbers with a shorter wall height

So there is no way this car with tires that actually fit this car should look that ugly.

Remember there has to be clearance at the front so offset has also to be considered when upsizing.

A

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK so it makes sense that the space between the tire and the wheel arch is the main problem. could the spacers or pads that the mechanic is referring to be the seats that you guys are mentioning? And should I ask the mechanic to remove the higher springs and replace them with factory spec springs? Will the shocks need to be replaced too? I had a good experience with FCP euro. Can you recommend a cheaper source? Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, update. FCP Euro took my VIN and said it’s a 320 non-Sport. OEM spec springs are $85 each. How does that sound?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
everyone hold on here!

Have you confirmed spring pads were removed? I would like to see picture evidence if so! I'd say it's highly unlikely that anything was done to JUST the rear except for the wrong tire size.

Mine sits a little high in the rear even with #1 spring pads. But I have CLK55 coils on my car and it definitely squats under acceleration.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Mine sits a little high in the rear even with #1 spring pads. But I have CLK55 coils on my car and it definitely squats under acceleration.
Good to know we are both thinking of things like squat etc on our monster R170's :grin:

If you don't mind me asking, what dot rubbers are you using on the front and what Springs ?

Below is a photo of mine currently with the V6 in it, I think I will need to do a little work on the front as to me it looks already a tad low, despite 3 dot rubbers and brand new stock V6 Springs !!
I expect it will drop a little further when the M113 V8 goes in :wink:

What do you think Aaron ?

Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Good to know we are both thinking of things like squat etc on our monster R170's :grin:

If you don't mind me asking, what dot rubbers are you using on the front and what Springs ?

Below is a photo of mine currently with the V6 in it, I think I will need to do a little work on the front as to me it looks already a tad low, despite 3 dot rubbers and brand new stock V6 Springs !!
I expect it will drop a little further when the M113 V8 goes in :wink:

What do you think Aaron ?

Cheers Dave
I imagine it will drop a little bit more with the V8. Mine dropped 12+mm but I had 230 coils. now it has #1 pads and 2001 CLK55 coil springs all around. I'm almost tempted to take the rear pads out to get a few more mm, but I dont really hate it the way it is. I like my wheels/tires to be concentric with the wheel arches and mine is close enough.
IMG_0446.jpg
IMG_0426.jpg

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Hi @Turdo2 ,

Yours is exactly how I want mine to look, so with any luck I will simply need to either fit 4 or 5 dot front seat pads, or maybe just go to CLK55 Springs and 1 dot seat pads at the front :grin: ............

More fodder for my research folder, Thanks Aaron,

Cheers Dave

1 - 20 of 43 Posts