Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I bought my car I have notice it is a bit shaky and vibrate and just does not feel right so researched and see a lot of people have problems with steering dampers and most of them have the same problem I do ,, so is it worth changeing it and if so is it a DIY job on my drive ? I have some experience with cars as I was a professional panel beater and did loads of suspension work and exhaust work about 11 years ago

·
Registered
239 Posts
Dead easy to change, just 2 bolts, 15 minute job including jacking up the front of the car. Replacement was pretty cheap if I remember about £30. Well worth doing IMO. I could push/pull the old one by hand, totally knackered.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dead easy to change, just 2 bolts, 15 minute job including jacking up the front of the car. Replacement was pretty cheap if I remember about £30. Well worth doing IMO. I could push/pull the old one by hand, totally knackered.
Thanks do you or any one know what the part number is , there is two on Mercedes ome parts website

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had my steering damper replaced at the same time as all four shocks. I think I read somewhere it was good idea to replace it if doing all four shocks. I bought bilstein, same as the shocks, from Amazon. I have a 2001 SLK 230, for reference. Damper worked like a charm.

Bilstein 18-140651 22mm Monotube Steering Damper
by Bilstein
Be the first to review this item
List Price: $72.38
Price: $62.99

Product Type - Front End Components - Steering Damper
Approximate dimensions: 2" W x 2" H x 17.7" L
UPC Code: 651860598062
Alternate Lookup Numbers: Bilstein # 18140651 B22-E065

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Thanks do you or any one know what the part number is , there is two on Mercedes ome parts website
The part number is A1244630432
There are different brands like Meyele, Stabilus, Lemfoerder.
Mine was Stabilus if I'm not mistaken. If you can find Lemfoerder it's a very good OEM part supplier!
Here's a DIY:
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-class-diy/33861-steering-damper-replacement-change-r170.html
Also, while you're in there check the steering drag link for any movement back and forth. There should be no movement back and forth! Mine was shot at 120k and the car didn't hold the steer well and I always heard a "cling" driving over a big bump. Problem solved for $190 (new steering drag assembly including tie rods)!

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Had mine changed on my last oil change. I have 115,000 miles on the car. They charged me $60.00 with OEM parts. I new it was not that hard just 2 bolts but they had it in the air. Noticed a small difference in the steering, but it has to be easier on the other steering parts with out the play. It also had a little oil on it so it was shot. :flag: :burnout:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.