Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys
its been a long time since my last post here.
I imported my 2005 SLK200 Kompressor when I moved from UK to Perth in 2012. It has done 142000 Kms and runs beautifully. Service costs are very high and soon it will be due for brake pads and disc. on screen it shows that my car is due for a service C. I have been quoted $700
In 2012 before i brought it to Oz I got a major service done with all filters and spark plugs changed (that was at 120000Kms). in 2014 i got engine oil and brake fluid changed (at 126,000Kms and $600).
Last year the air con stopped working and clutch master cylinder needed changing ($1000)

I have been offered 19000AUD for it but am not sure if I should keep it (in which case I will have to bear the ongoing costs of maintaining this car) or sell it and buy a more family oriented car (i have a young family now)

so my question really is----
how many Kms is too many for an SLK200 Kompressor? when is a good indicator that the car is going to need expensive maintenance?
and any cheap service centers in Perth (australia, not scotland)

Thanks

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
143 Posts
hi guys

its been a long time since my last post here.

I imported my 2005 SLK200 Kompressor when I moved from UK to Perth in 2012. It has done 142000 Kms and runs beautifully. Service costs are very high and soon it will be due for brake pads and disc. on screen it shows that my car is due for a service C. I have been quoted $700

In 2012 before i brought it to Oz I got a major service done with all filters and spark plugs changed (that was at 120000Kms). in 2014 i got engine oil and brake fluid changed (at 126,000Kms and $600).

Last year the air con stopped working and clutch master cylinder needed changing ($1000)

I have been offered 19000AUD for it but am not sure if I should keep it (in which case I will have to bear the ongoing costs of maintaining this car) or sell it and buy a more family oriented car (i have a young family now)

so my question really is----

how many Kms is too many for an SLK200 Kompressor? when is a good indicator that the car is going to need expensive maintenance?

and any cheap service centers in Perth (australia, not scotland)

Thanks

This is always such an individual decision as you need to balance practical family and finance needs with your passion for cars and driving enjoyment. We have all been there at some time in our life. As you own the car and obviously enjoy driving it, can you service the SLK and then keep it for fun times rather than a daily drive? If so that would mean your service costs on the SLK would drop right down. You would then choose a practical family car as your daily drive and hopefully the running costs would be more to your budget. The upside is you will love the SLK even more . When you need some quiet time you can take the SLK for a drive and when you haven't driven it for a while the enjoyment is heightened by a factor of ten. The other benefit is you don't resent the family for forcing you to sell something you enjoy and later on the kids will love the fact that dad has a cool sports car and you get to enjoy one on one time with them when you take them for a Sunday morning spin or off to a weekend activity. Of course you may need the money from the sale of the SLK to fund the next purchase and all of this advise is just a waste of time. Hope not and good luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
FYI Sean
op has not been back since
Last Activity: 03-22-2016

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.