Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is it time for new shocks?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  VAslk 
#1 ·
The '07 280 is still my darling. Even had a couple of top-down days in the past two weeks (February, DC-area). But I've noticed its feeling stiffer these days and I'm wondering if anyone has a benchmark for replacing shocks. At 104,000 miles and going on 13 years I can't complain about needing them. Replaced the motor and trans mounts a couple of years ago. If it's time, any recommendations?

#2 ·
I have a 2005 350 with 90K on the car. I replaced the Front Struts and Rear Shocks with Bilstein B6's. The driving difference before and after the installation is amazing. On my car the struts were completely gone rear shocks not as bad but all 4 needed to be replaced. I never even realized how bad mine were until I was in a friends SLK who had replaced his. I knew then mine needed to be replaced it was a gradual deterioration which I had not noticed. The B6's are a little stiffer then the B4's (OEM-stock) I personally like the feel. I also replaced the Front Strut Bearings as well. In the end it was well worth it.

#4 ·
I am sure they are quite worn at that point. If you change them I am sure you will see a marked difference in handling. I agree on the Bilstein B6, it is the same as the sport suspension.

#5 ·
Did you do a bounce test? Pressing down on the car with your body weight at the shock absorber location and start bouncing the car. When you let go it should stabilise / not bounce any more.
I wonder what other parts are important for comfort along with the shocks, such as bushings. Shock absorber cap replacement might be a good idea.

#8 ·
Thanks to each response. Probably makes sense to wait for better weather to do something but I agree with the idea that she's earned new parts. And I appreciate the recommendation for Bilstein. Keeping the line open until it's actually time to make the switch. All advice (here, at least) is worthy of hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.