Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member 1999 slk230-sold
14,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Funny how things work sometimes. I pull up in my 99 R 170 this morning at 2 am ready going to work next to me here is a Guys pulling up in a Bmw Z4 we exchanced looks walk into the store buying what we need i go to work he just got off work we walk out starting talking to ea. other me a Mb lover for 25 years he a Bmw lover for 18 years looked at the cars and wow nice ride and we started talking he loved the Mb his Bmw was absolutely lovely too. We exchanged phone numbers drulled over the cars and the mods. He belongs to the Bmw Club and i belong to the Slk Side. Kinda weird too me how Mb and Bmw are at war since day one in Germany on the racetrack or design studio or on the Autobahn but at 2 am in the morning we Gearheads can talk no matter what you drive. Girls i hope you learned a lesson. LOL . And kids for me no matter what you drive i still respect a nice ride. So now grill me that i talked to a Bmw lover. :butt:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Funny how things work sometimes. I pull up in my 99 R 170 this morning at 2 am ready going to work next to me here is a Guys pulling up in a Bmw Z4 we exchanced looks walk into the store buying what we need i go to work he just got off work we walk out starting talking to ea. other me a Mb lover for 25 years he a Bmw lover for 18 years looked at the cars and wow nice ride and we started talking he loved the Mb his Bmw was absolutely lovely too. We exchanged phone numbers drulled over the cars and the mods. He belongs to the Bmw Club and i belong to the Slk Side. Kinda weird too me how Mb and Bmw are at war since day one in Germany on the racetrack or design studio or on the Autobahn but at 2 am in the morning we Gearheads can talk no matter what you drive. Girls i hope you learned a lesson. LOL . And kids for me no matter what you drive i still respect a nice ride. So now grill me that i talked to a Bmw lover. :butt:
I wonder if he has any cat problems like you do mate LOL

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
It's not too bad I suppose. At least his car is a German built rear-wheel drive two-seater roadster and not a plastic, four-wheel drive or front-wheel drive saloon with a bookcase on the boot-lid, stupid wide wheel arches (no offence Cyberdrakon, your SLK widebody kit is very tasteful :)) wheels, rally seats and furry-dice hanging off of the mirror....

Well I assume he didn't have furry-dice..?

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
No surprised there, I love BMW's, if it wasn't for the hardtop, manual transmission, and the sporty feel of the SLK (usually an oxymoron when talking about MB's), I would probably drive a Z4. It's just too bad the new Z4 doesn't have a //M model. I used to be part of BMW clubs and bring my SLK to autocross and road track days and BMW owners love it.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
No surprised there, I love BMW's, if it wasn't for the hardtop, manual transmission, and the sporty feel of the SLK (usually an oxymoron when talking about MB's), I would probably drive a Z4. It's just too bad the new Z4 doesn't have a //M model. I used to be part of BMW clubs and bring my SLK to autocross and road track days and BMW owners love it.
I saw a Z4 hardtop last weekend.. FYI..

I love BMWs, ever since my '69 BMW 2002 2.0l

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,606 Posts
BH,
All's fair in love and war... I miss the old 2002 (1973) that smelled like horsehair (bonus if you know why) and what a coincidence -- I looked at an '85 635csi for my next project car about two hours ago! It was rotten through and through so "no dice". I don't care so much for the Scandinavian styling of the Z4, I much prefer the Z3's lines, but it's a nice ride still. I looked into buying a Z3 last year but when I opened the hood, the engine compartment was packed full of nuts -- and I mean packed into every square inch of space -- tree nuts that the squirrels had tucked away.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
FWIW, I quite like the styling and folding roof of the new Z4 and if it had been around when we decided on getting our SLK, then it may have been a tougher choice than it was. At the time, going for the SLK was a no-brainer. Didn't want a rag-top.

Now we have the SLK, I have no wish to try a Z4 which will no doubt be a very competent roadster. I still think the R171 has it on looks and suspect that in GT (roof-up) mode the SLK is the more refined car. We have certainly done some fairly decent runs without any aches or pains and the car cruise effortlessly. In roadster mode the SLK gives me and the missus enough smiles/mile to keep us happy.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
If BM kept to making bikes, and MB kept to making cars, everyone would be happy. One of the best bikes in the world at the mo is the new K1600GT/GLT, but I still love my K1200LT (and my SLK 350MT ).(BTW,a mate of mine has a BMW 'tintop' Z4 - I see it nearly every day - much more than I see my SLK :) ).

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
While I am unlikely to ever own a BMW, at least at the current time, I have complete respect for them.

I think Mercedes does some things better: technology, safety, longevity (knock on wood), etc. I think BMW creates great handling vehicles with virtually no exception.

I completely respect BMWs, and I would be happy to get along with a BMW owning friend.

I'd even rent a BMW.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't think there are very many problems when you get into the more mature vehicles (not saying groups don't have their bad apples), but you'd be more apt to find bickering amongst the younger scene and more, what's the politically correct term.... Well GeeJay kinda said it. I'll stick with that.

However, I wouldn't knock the STI's or the Evo's (referencing AWD). If they are used correctly, they are a TON of fun to play with. :)

On a personal note, I frequently get to play with a number of Porsche, a random GTR/Ferrari/Lambo on occasion, and other MB and BMW's and I haven't found a poor sport yet. That's probably because I try to pick on faster vehicles and rarely win! LOL

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
I saw a Z4 hardtop last weekend.. FYI..

I love BMWs, ever since my '69 BMW 2002 2.0l
I know, there is one here in our parking lot, usually parked closed to my SLK. It's nice but I wished they made an //M model. Then I might consider it. I've heard of a lot of electronic issues with the newer BMW's. My old 1995 M3 (now my brother) is still running great. Still on original paint, I saw it the other day and it has less rock chips on the front than my SLK and Porsche. The paint still glows, these new water-based paint just isn't the same.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,606 Posts
Yep, seats had horsehair. Unforgettable yet I haven't seen that car for 25 years. Did MB ever use horsehair in the seats (I'm a relatively new MB owner).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts