Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find my key, and the car is locked. I may have dropped it inside the car. Does the car lock by itself?

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
It will re-lock if you unlock it with the key fob and don't open the door. Other than that, and the "lock on drive", I can't think of an easy way to lock your keys in the car....

·
Registered
382 Posts
could you start the car, push the lock button on the dash take the key that is in the fob get out and lock the drivers door whit the key?

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Do you have TeleAid or mbrace?

D

·
0 Posts
Is a window open? thats the only was you could have 'dropped' it in.

If you have a second key just use that, or as Eddy say's the telematics folks can open it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They weren't in the car. That's what I get for staying out so late. But I thought I had dropped them in as i got out. Does the car lock by itself? cause sometimes I think I forget to lock and when I come back the car is locked. Also when I get out to get gas, I unlock it to open the gas cap, and after i have filled the tank i have to unlock the car again to close it.

D

·
0 Posts
The car will auto-lock only if a door and possibly the trunk has not been opened, so for it to lock itself you cant open anything to drop a key in.

The gas cap door doesn't have a sensor to tell the car when its open so the car will lock with it open.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I would like to start the car and leave it running in the winter, so I can get ready for work and in the mean time the car warms up. :)

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I would like to start the car and leave it running in the winter, so I can get ready for work and in the mean time the car warms up. :)
So, why can't you - if you're worried about it locking, then take a spare key with you the first time you try it. When I had tooooo many bikes in my garage (i.e. more than 2!!) I'd often shut the door with the engine running whilst I was shuffling the bikes round = never been locked out of it yet.

·
Registered
522 Posts
locking the car????

They weren't in the car. That's what I get for staying out so late. But I thought I had dropped them in as i got out. Does the car lock by itself? cause sometimes I think I forget to lock and when I come back the car is locked. Also when I get out to get gas, I unlock it to open the gas cap, and after i have filled the tank i have to unlock the car again to close it.
I have noticed that if you UNLOCK a locked car and then only open the trunk and then close the trunk and wait for a couple seconds............THE CAR WILL COMPLETELY LOCK ITSELF AGAIN BY ITSELF!!!

So if you had accidentally dropped the key inside the trunk and then closed the trunk unintentionally or intentionally by accident............THEN YOUR KEY IS INSIDE THE TRUNK AND THE ENTIRE CAR IS NOW LOCKED!!! :(:mad::td:

The other scenario is as described already by another member of the forum where you UNLOCK a locked car but did not open any of its doors and the windows are in the down position and somehow you accidentally dropped the key inside and then hit the window up button from outside and moved your arm/hand quickly out of the car (unless the car can automatically make the windows go up by itself after you UNLOCK the car and did not open any doors).

In very cold temperatures I would go start the car up (and turn up the heater of the car so it will be warm later) and leave the key in the ignition and then hit the down button on the driver side window and get out of the car and then close the driver side door. Then I reach in from outside of the car and hit the "lock" button in the center of the console. Then I quickly reach inside again and hit the "up" button for the window on the driver side door and pull my arm and hand out of the car before the driver side window are up completely (must do this quickly and efficiently and make sure your clothing do not get caught by the fast rising window!!!). NOW THE CAR IS COMPLETELY LOCKED AND RUNNING. I MAKE SURE I HAVE A SPARE KEY ON ME BEFORE I DO THE ABOVE. I let the car warm up for about 10 minutes or so and then I come back and open the driver side door with the spare key (by using the "metal" key as the remote will not work when the car's engine is actually running).

I don't know.........unless you have another key or you have Tele-Aid enabled and current on the service contract..........I think you are temporarily locked out. I think you may need to call a lock smith OR if you have AAA and in the United States..............AAA has a service to unlock your car if you have AAA.

I would not try to open the car door or window yourself unless you KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING because you may damage the locking mechanism. What I am saying is you would definitely need a PRO to do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts