Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it says on the tin, is anyone in the UK planning on ripping out their secondary cats in the not too distant future? I may be interested in saving you a trip to the local dump :grin:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the heads up on this - I'm in the middle of trying to figure out my next move (research this time rather than make a boo-boo!!). Looks like I'm going to stick with my headers (not entirely through choice :frown:) but then I'll need to try and figure out if the standard secondaries can be modded to accept the O2 sensors (short term fix) or if a pair of new hi-flow cats would work better etc etc :nerd:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,
Yes I'm getting a decat and new x-pipe done on my SLK350 on Thursday, 20th April. I'll ask if I can have the old cats when they come off the car if they are of any use to you?

Out of interest, I'm getting it done at Demand Engineering, near Stowmarket, Suffolk.

Demand Engineering - Custom and Performance Exhaust Craft
Very curious to hear how this goes for you and if there are any noticeable differences.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi,
Yes I will post a full update once it's completed. I have had to leave the car there overnight as they didn't get it finished today. The guy I have been dealing with has got a 350SLK and has done the same thing on his car. They have also done the on a number of SLKs and SLs.
It should give a nicer exhaust note on acceleration but not too droning in normal driving. It also makes the car more responsive to the throttle. So we shall see...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
As it says on the tin, is anyone in the UK planning on ripping out their secondary cats in the not too distant future? I may be interested in saving you a trip to the local dump :grin:
Hi,
I've had the work done, but it looks like the secondary cats are actually just resonators. I've attached a picture. You are still welcome to them if you still want them. :smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Very curious to hear how this goes for you and if there are any noticeable differences.
Hi Geoff,
Well the difference is quite subtle. The exhaust note is deeper on acceleration and the car feels a bit more responsive. The original x-pipe has been replaced and moved further forward in place of where the secondary cats / resonators were. If you see my other post it looks like mine were resonators. The x-pipe works better the further forward it is.
Under steady driving there is no real change to the exhaust sound which I think is a good thing.

Regards,

Andy

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Geoff,
Well the difference is quite subtle. The exhaust note is deeper on acceleration and the car feels a bit more responsive. The original x-pipe has been replaced and moved further forward in place of where the secondary cats / resonators were. If you see my other post it looks like mine were resonators. The x-pipe works better the further forward it is.
Under steady driving there is no real change to the exhaust sound which I think is a good thing.

Regards,

Andy

If you could post a video on youtube so I can know what this sounds like I would be incredibly appreciative.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you could post a video on youtube so I can know what this sounds like I would be incredibly appreciative.
Hi,
I've taken this video clip of the exhaust note with the car idling and blipping the throttle. Apologies for the quality, you may need to use a reasonable set of speakers to hear the lower tones. I will take another of the sound while driving if can get a reasonable result with my video camera.

https://youtu.be/If3UmG0ocB8

·
6007.us
2,619 Posts
Can believe a second cat is a resonator. A cat relies on a high exhaust temperature (believe is above 600 F ) to work & the first one will cool the gas significantly. For that matter the second set of O2 sensors are not supposed to read anything when everything is operating properly, just sit at midpoint. Could probably replace with a pair of resistors.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi,
I've taken this video clip of the exhaust note with the car idling and blipping the throttle. Apologies for the quality, you may need to use a reasonable set of speakers to hear the lower tones. I will take another of the sound while driving if can get a reasonable result with my video camera.

https://youtu.be/If3UmG0ocB8

Idle noise sounds pretty good. Definitely let me know when you can get a video under load. :grin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts