Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this is not the perfect set up for using your iPod in your car but this one is convenient if you don't have a hard wired connection. This latest FM broadcaster from Griffin broadcasts nicely to my radio even when the iPod is in my shirt pocket or in the glove box.

If you are still unhappy try a blue martinni.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
what is that second photo, blue griffin?
i use an itrip, quality isn't the best, but it is better than nothing.
You would think ipod connections are standard now, wouldn't you?!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Mercedes is seriously lagging behind in ipod integration and mp3 playing in general...You need silly money to integrate an ipod with the standard audio 20 and you are better off if you buy a new head unit with that money anyway.

Corkscrew ,how do you rate the quality of the sound all things considered? Is it at least on par with fm radio?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
i have an ipod jack, but for some reason i think the jack is loose or something, becuase it has to be in with some jiggling and playing to get it to sound right, or not have some distortion.

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
I use my MP3 player everyday. I refuse to generically call it an "iPod". #1 because its a Toshiba Gigabeat and #2 I refuse to get sucked into the whole "we spent miilions on advertising so people would think ours is best" mentality. BECAUSE IT ISN'T!!! Sorry...

I have over 500 CDs loaded to mine (30G). Set to shuffle, its my very own radio station. I have it hard wired into the radio and it plays in place of the tape deck. It's powered by piggyback to the cig lighter and all the cables run through the console...very incognito. :tu:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Apple and its Ipod are way better in integrating the whole ripings songs,making playlists, and listening to music experience, into an easy to do task.
That is why Ipods are selling quiet well.And NO, painting a gigabeat white does not make it even as remotely beautiful as a piece of industrial design as the ipod is. And ipod's run in both MAC OS X, windoze and Linux ,something the crippled Gigabeat cannot possibly emulate ..
So you are wrong DesignoSLK :) and it is time you visited an apple shop!! :)
Ease of use and proper design will win every time.... Otherwise we can all have discussions about ugly Z4's

·
Banned
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today I tuned my Griffin FM broadcaster that I attached to my iPod to 88.1. I also tuned the SLK's radio to 88.1.

Then I started driving around Bangkok. The Griffin made the FM radio sound like an AM radio with not very strong reception.

Next I unscrewed the aerial and drove the same route again. This time there was no interference with outside stations at all. It was bell perfect.

The onboard cell phone worked perfectly without the aerial.

The car locked and unlocked without the aerial.

Of course, I don't like the looks of the car with just the base of the aerial showing. I wonder if there is a cover that can be screwed on. I almost miss those old telescoping aerials that we used to have...that would solve the situation.

As far as I know there is no way to hardwire an iPod into a 2005 SLK 200 with the Audio 20 radio. If there is I would love to know about it.

Here in Bangkok I usually do not listen to the radio. I usually listen to CDs or the iPod.

The irrelevant attached picture is of the nice sunset we had last night. Taken from the Shangri-La hotel....looking SW over the Chao Phrya river.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Apple and its Ipod are way better in integrating the whole ripings songs,making playlists, and listening to music experience, into an easy to do task.
That is why Ipods are selling quiet well.And NO, painting a gigabeat white does not make it even as remotely beautiful as a piece of industrial design as the ipod is. And ipod's run in both MAC OS X, windoze and Linux ,something the crippled Gigabeat cannot possibly emulate ..
So you are wrong DesignoSLK :) and it is time you visited an apple shop!! :)
Ease of use and proper design will win every time.... Otherwise we can all have discussions about ugly Z4's
ierax, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and bet you own a MAC, too. Because it sounds like you've bought the whole Apple experience hook, line and sinker.

Besides the fact I'm not an Apple fan of any sort, CNET rated the Toshiba Gigabeat well above the iPod and gave it the Editor's Choice Award. Add to that it was a fraction of the price of a 30G iPod. So the descision wasn't a tough one for me.

But if you're as happy with your iPod as you say, than good on you.

The irrelevant attached picture is of the nice sunset we had last night. Taken from the Shangri-La hotel....looking SW over the Chao Phrya river.
Corkscrew, that is indeed a very nice snapshot of what appears to be the end of a gorgous day!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I Pod

I'm not sure which system I have .... where is the AUX jack located inside the glovebox ? ... I do have the CD stacker in there already .. and although I have looked I cann't see a jack

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
Right hand side wall, in my US MY06. Small metal ring against the wall.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm not sure which system I have .... where is the AUX jack located inside the glovebox ? ... I do have the CD stacker in there already .. and although I have looked I cann't see a jack
Basically, if you have the big screen where you can play DVDs, Satellite Navigation, etc... you have the COMAND system and an AUX jack. If you have a unit which just has the radio and phone controls, you have the Audio 20(or possibly another Audio thingy, but not COMAND). In Australia, we only have choice between the COMAND and Audio20, but in other countries, I think there's another choice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
C'mon Mercedes, is it really that expensive to throw in an AUX jack into all models? You're supposed to be the world's standard for premium luxury, comfort, and performance. Even the Honda Civic DX has an AUX jack on it's standard audio system...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Today I tuned my Griffin FM broadcaster that I attached to my iPod to 88.1. I also tuned the SLK's radio to 88.1.

Then I started driving around Bangkok. The Griffin made the FM radio sound like an AM radio with not very strong reception.

Next I unscrewed the aerial and drove the same route again. This time there was no interference with outside stations at all. It was bell perfect.

The onboard cell phone worked perfectly without the aerial.

The car locked and unlocked without the aerial.

Of course, I don't like the looks of the car with just the base of the aerial showing. I wonder if there is a cover that can be screwed on. I almost miss those old telescoping aerials that we used to have...that would solve the situation.
Today, I tried to use the iTrip which I bought several years ago, and I changed to the original antenna for better reception... the result is not bad!

But after reading Corkscrew's post, I think it may be better to use the short antenna instead! Will give it a try! :tu:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Thanks Gero, I needed that laugh....:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Folks when it comes to electronics I am dumber than dirt. When it comes to buying and using electronics I am smart. Smart you ask, Doug the Villiage Idiot. yes I think I am. With an open mind I first ask, what do I need or want a device to do. Next I ask others for opinions (everyone has at least 5) after hearing as many as I can stand, I decide on the device. Next I decide where and how the device will be used most. Then I consult someone that knows the device and the environment it will be used in. In an aircraft that would be the manufacturer of the device and the avionics shop. Car shops being simply plug and play folks are not into the inner workings of the box only the cars systems. The Audio 10/CD I just installed in my SLK is made by Alpine. I spoke to a service tech at Alpine and he provided good info and also a diagram of the wiring and circuits inside the radio. Armed with this, I consulted our avionics shop in Denver, the installer I spoke to referred me to a repair tech who listened to my desires and after he understood what I wanted he said" No problem, send me the schematics and I will make you a cable or send me the radio and I will install the cable and send the box back ready to install and you can run the cable to where you want it installed." Now, IPOD, GIGABEAT or what? Same questions, decide and consult. My point you ask, there are folks out there that eat and sleep electrons like we eat and sleep SLK's. Decide what you want/need and ask the right person. Most larger airports have avionics shops, the techs that work there usually started their electronic interests with cars and then graduated into aircraft. What a valuable asset, few know about. Drop by the local avionics shop and find the young tech that is into cars and talk about it over lunch. If he accepts the challenge you are in, if not you are out lunch.
This has worked for me numerous times with all sorts of mods not just electronics. Hope this gives some food for thought. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Another thought, Corkscrew, thanks for the pictures of Bangkok. Everytime I see your name on a post, I jump in to see if you posted pictures. Wish others around the world would post pictures of things I may never get to see in person (if you or your SLK are in the picture, all the better). :hail::hail: Corkscrew's pictures. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::tu::tu:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.