Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,

My name is Barry and I live in Perth Western Australia. My car is a 1997 SLK 230. This is my first ever convertible and my second two door car. The family has grown up and I no longer need to use my Ford Fairlane to transport the family. I ended up buying a BMW 318IS which unfortunately my son wrote off in a low speed tail-ender. I was going to replace it with a six cylinder BMW when I saw the advertisement for the SLK-it seemed too good to pass up for the price ( $AUS13,000- they were $AUS98,000 new over here due to luxury car tax).

The SLK certainly turns heads, much more than any BMW. I have only seen one other car of the same model in the past eight months I have owned it. Perth has a similar climate to California so the top is down most of the year, even when it gets a little chilly (13C) in winter. I am sold on folding metal roofs for the comfort and security when needed.

I do wish I could have afforded a SLK 320 but they are around $AUD22,000. The SLK 230 has more than enough performance but I miss the smoothness of a six cylinder ( I also own a 1997 Audi A4 V6 which is even smoother than my Fairlane). When the exhaust wears out I will replace it with a better sounding, not necessarily louder, unit. The exhaust note only sounds good when I am accelerating otherwise it is flat and boring.

Overall I am very happy with my SLK and was glad to find this forum. I have picked up a lot of tips here. I notice even in the USA you have rather expensive spare parts - over here I was quoted $AUD495 for a new bonnet strut and $AUD395 for a windscreen washer bottle.

I do not spend much time on the computer and it will be quite a while between responding to posts.

Bye and happy motoring

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,325 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car) free.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Omission

In my introduction I said I was quoted $AUD495 for a new bonnet. I left out the qualifier "strut". A new bonnet for $495 would be a good price but a bit over the top for a bonnet strut.

Barry

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,325 Posts
You can always 'edit' your original post Barry

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,500 Posts
Welcome and thanks for joining.

Marykay
Florida Event Coordinator

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
Hi Barry, and welcome from the UK Midlands! :)

- Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts