Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '98 slk230k has been having problems for the past 2 months.
Sometimes the car starts, sometimes it just doesn't start at all.
At first they told me it was the gas pump. At the time, the car was displaying the following codes:p0455, P0410, P0105, P0460, P0201, P0202, P0203,P0204.
THEN I installed a new bosch fuel pump, cleaned the injectors, and replace the filter..the car started fine...a week later the same problem started to happen again. 4 DAYS LATER..same problem..this time the K40 relay was replaced with a brand new k40.
Worked fine for 2 days, then the same thing started to happen.
THEN a brand new alternator was installed and the rooftop started to work once again, everything seemed fine. I went away on a trip and returned 5 days later..the car started fine, but then i parked the car , did some things for about 1 hours, and then when i wanted to start the car, it wouldn't start, I moved the battery cables, the car started, went to check the battery and the reading says the battery is 100% loaded and the guy from the battery shop told me i shouldn't buy a new one, because the one i have is perfect, like brand new...wich is weird since i've had this battery for more than 2 years.
Anyway, i'm getting very frustrated and this car is my everyday car. Any suggestions? The dealership in costa rica charges 5 times the price of any replacement parts but i'm getting to the point where i'm thinking it's probably gonna be cheaper to take it to the dealership. What the hell could be going on with this car?? Any help is greatly appreciated!:frown:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Its hard to say but I would start with the immobilizer. An amp meter can check that the correct power is being delivered to the starter motor when you turn the key.
A sudden surge could have ruined it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yes, I agree it could also be the switch, there is a test for this.

The switch connects to the starter solenoid. The switch remains “open” when the transmission is in gear engaging the starter. When the ignition switch is moved to the “Start” position, this allows current to flow to the starter, as long as the transmission is in “Park“ or "Neutral".

To test it put the key in the ignition switch with the gear in the “Reverse” position. Do not turn on the engine. Using a 12 volt test light check if there is any power in the powering harness. If it shows an illuminated bulb then there is power and the circuit is working properly. Attach the wiring connector back to the neutral switch and if it does not light up, test all wires for loose or damaged connections, then retest. If no power is present, you need a new neutral safety switch.?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anybody have a picture of the switch? I wanna do the switch test tomorrow. Thanks!!
Also, where is the immobilizer located? My car only has the original security system, i don't use any aftermarket alarms.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The immobilizer or anti-theft system is in the PSE module and it should be located on the lower right hand side of the trunk.

Sorry I dont' have a picture of the PSE or the Neutral Safety Switch but you should be able to find something in video form on Youtube if you search the two terms.

Good Luck, keep us informed.

·
Registered
336 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.