Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At times when I kick the throttle down it will down shift, and will rev to red line with out the boost of the SC. If I bring the car to a stop, and do nothing else but kick it down 100% all is well, and the SC makes boost again. It could work for several times again.

I have checked for codes twice, but nothing shows up. Any ideas?

Thanks
Gary

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
513 Posts
Gary, it sounds as if your inter cooler pump may be on it's way out.
But first, the cheap options.:grin:

Have you been using fuel with too lower octane ? If so, run a few tanks of premium and see if this clears it. You should be running on premium all the time, these engines can be temperamental if they don't get the right juice !

Secondly, check the fuse for the pump, it's in the box under the bonnet. It's a 5 amp fuse that is known to go now and again.
If it is a blown fuse, replace it and keep an eye on it. The C32 has the same engine and drivetrain as us, but for some reason their fuse is a 7.5 amp one. Don't know why.

If all this doesn't cure it, it's probably your pump that's on it's way out.
Is your inter cooler still original ? If so don't replace it with another oem one, I would recommend getting a Johnsons equivalent, the CM30.
I have one and it's a big improvement !

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SC Issues

Yesterday, I came to this conclusion. I at first checked, the 5 amp fuse, then I tried to add an direct line to the pump motor, no luck. I pulled the pump out and took the cover off, it turned free. I put it back together, and again jumped 12V to it, no luck. About 1/2 hour had one on order. The car is on the rack awaiting the new pump, it is an -010 not the -003 Bosh.

As soon as I get the time I will be ordering the the cm30 pump and larger intercooler any thoughts on PLM? I don't want to make a big project out of it,
It looks like removal of the front tow hook is required. Will likely be adding an smaller pulley and tune at that time.:smile:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Intercooler pump

Installed new pump this am. Same issue as before. If I let the car Idle after it is hot, I can see the new pump get voltage and it feels like it is running. but it is hard to tell for sure.
Gary

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,210 Posts
Gary, I am no expert so this is just voicing a thought.

Have you checked the SC oil?

There's several threads on it for the 230.

Worth trying as it won't do any harm, is easy diy and just might fix the problem.

If that oil is old and broken down it will not behave as it should.
The hotter it gets the more I'd expect it to deviate from it's design profile.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,062 Posts

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK32 AMG
5,189 Posts
You might want to google changing the S/C oil for the SRT6 Crossfire. The lug to drain the S/C is located on the front of the supercharger on an SLK32. I looked on our forum and do not find a DYI explanation or video for a 32.

I have watched and listened to the video. It is pretty straight forward.

·
513 Posts
If the supercharger oil level was low or broken down, would this cause it to work intermittently ? I would have thought that it wouldn't work full stop, but I digress, it's always a good thing to change the oil. Don't believe the hype from MB that it's sealed for life, do it around every 50k or so, especially if you're running a smaller pulley.

I looked on our forum and do not find a DYI explanation or video for a 32.
Here you go JC, here is a good write up from @9021Jae

http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r170/298105-jaes-slk32-build-thread-2.html#post2461009

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sc Issues

Thanks to all who offered up ideas. They all were and are worth following up on. The car has just less than 60K miles.

The pump was dead, and needed replaced.

At this point the small puller is held off until this issue is solved. I should be getting a call from the detail shop this week. I told them they could have it for a few weeks so they could work it into their schedule. Not sure if the SC oil change will happen first.

gs

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CS issues

The SC oil change went well.

The SC will still cut out, if it cools down it will work again. I'm quite sure it is an heat soak issue. The fluids looked clean in the SC and smelled a little like rear end grease. The coolant from the pump change looked clean.
I hate the thought of replacing the intercooler on an guess. I'm starting to feel like I'm on an chase of replacing parts.

I know the pump was bad though.
gs

·
513 Posts
Gary, good to hear the supercharger oil change went well.
If it smelt okay that probably means it's already been done before, and you now know it's good for at least another 50k. :tu:

On the issue of it still cutting out when it's hot, it stills sounds like a water pump problem.
Did you manage to locate a Johnsons equivalent, the CM30 after ?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SC Issues

TFP

I had not looked for that pump yet.
It was interesting that when the SC didn't come onto full boost, it felt like it was @ about 40 to 50% power, not the 10% power when it was hot, in the past. When it cooled down a little it came [email protected] 100%.

It was about 50'F yesterday here in NE OH. The road test was only about six miles total out & back. 40'F & rain today. I would not have felt at these temps heat soak would be an problem.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SC Issues

Anyone know what thermostat fits the SLK32 engine. I would like to try to step down to an 180' thermostat to see if it helps. Also where is the SC temp. sensor?
gs

·
95,062 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Vin #

2003 SLK32 VIN # WDBKK66F73F275978

Any ideas of what is the best cooler with the least amount of mounting problems. I would like to have an stand alone water system also.

Thanks
gs

·
95,062 Posts
Standby for datacard and thermostat number

·
95,062 Posts
Here ya go!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts