Mercedes SLK World banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Everyone and thanks for this amazing post.......ITS my time now.....:) ...I have a 320 pretty much mint cond....seats have always been intermittent and want to fix this.......im wondering if mine is a right hand drive is there less stuff behind the dash ??? Also wondering If i can get to the relay through the glove box ???

:(.........here we go .....

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG/2003 SLK32 AMG
7 Posts
Hi Robert320SLK

I'm in Japan and I also have the same question as you, because my wife's R170 is right hand drive model, same as UK model. But found following post.
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-ge...ing-seat-relay-my-right-hand-drive-model.html

I'll try to find seat relay to open lower dash panel under steering wheel.

By the way, thank you every one for this great post. The issue have been one of the most annoying one since I bought my wife's second hand R170 in 2015.

·
Administrator/Founding Member since 2006
101,317 Posts
Hi Robert320SLK

I'm in Japan and I also have the same question as you, because my wife's R170 is right hand drive model, same as UK model. But found following post.
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-ge...ing-seat-relay-my-right-hand-drive-model.html

I'll try to find seat relay to open lower dash panel under steering wheel.

By the way, thank you every one for this great post. The issue have been one of the most annoying one since I bought my wife's second hand R170 in 2015.
you have 2 slks?
Vehicle: R171 SLK55AMG 2005 model

update your profile with other slk info
or get your wife to join! :D

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG/2003 SLK32 AMG
7 Posts
Yep,

I have 2 SLKs.

By the way, I have done this and confirmed Japanese version SLK350 right hand drive model has seat relay on drivers sheet side.
I can't upload my photos in SLKworld yet, since my post is <30. But I have another site if you want to check my photos. (Excuse me the site written all in Japanese, but you can still see my photos to confirm the position of seat relay.)
SLK seat relay repair | ????????? SLK - ????

One of the leaning from other web site is, the solders used in these years cars are became lead free due to regulation. And they might have reliability concern due to the technology might not well matured at that time. I used matured solder with lead when I re-solder my relay to prevent future cracks.

Thank you for JaysonM for this great post!

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi im new to the forum and am dealing with seats that do not move AT ALL in my 320 slk. I have ignored the problem until now whereas Ive decided I aim to mount my HIFONCS amp between the two seats and need to move them up to fit the amp behind them. So im off to extract relay and see what happens... wish me luck... will report results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks to this thread I was able to fix my seat relay switch today. Thank you! one more to go. My hydraulic oil leaking from the roof when closing into both the passenger's & driver's seats.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,535 Posts
Thank you Jayson, BIG thumbs up for this one :tu: Y)

Found one crack I think, hard to see without a magnifying glass but resoldered the suspect contact anyway.

Electrical pins were also showing signs of oxidisation so made them clean and shiny with some p400 wet n dry, must be noted that these may have been the cause of the intermittentness in my case at least.

All good now :grin:

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
15 Posts
Hi folks!
It's been a while since I've been to DIY section. I thought we should have a dedicated thread to the following issue: Intermittent seat adjustment problem. I have replied to the thread on Benzworld
Accessing the seat adjustment relay
but thought I'd share my experience with SLKWorld members :rb
I performed this repair a while ago and still have some pics.
The problem I came up with is that sometimes my both seats wouldn't adjust out of a sudden. I was cleaning the car and has folded both of my seats, opened the roof and was busy busy cleaning =) Then, when I was done I had to go and pick up my wife. And guess what... My seats would not adjust!!! They stayed in this awkward position where I wasn't even able to drive... That was awful! After some jiggling wiggling - turning ignition on/off, starting the car, kicking the tires, cleaning the headlights.. :biglaugh: I just gave up and went home. Couple minutes later I came up to the car and... Both seats started working!!! I immediately adjusted them in the comfortable position and the same evening went to research the problem!
The problem is that over the time the contacts on the seat relay get "cracked" and it causes intermittent failure.

There are two solutions:
1. Buy a new seat relay $35-50. Part #: A 002 542 22 19
2. Solder cracked connections! (Really cheap and easy)!
Tools needed:
a. Solder iron
b. Solder
c. Solder cleaner (optional). I used wet sponge.
d. Patience =)

So, to fix that you first need to disassemble the lower dashboard.
For the instructions, please follow these directions all the way to step 9.
buellwinkle.com
And you will be able to get to the seat relay:

Simply pull it out:

Now you need to open it. Use a flat-head screwdriver or any other similar tool. Be careful to take a note how the contact board is located so you don't damage when sticking your screwdriver in!!!

After you managed to disassemble it you have the following:

I pointed to the cracked contacts on the picture. Mine had about 5-7 of them!!!!! I think it happened due to extensive heat here in Texas.

Here's another picture so you can see it:

Inspect your relay for cracked contacts! It may contain 1 or many!
Now, all you have to do is solder it! Really easy! I'm not a professional solder-man and this was my first time too =)
Get a solder iron. (You can borrow one from your friend or buy one at Radioshack). Then get some solder. DO NOT buy cheap one in a dollar store! Get one from Radioshack. Will cost you $3-5.

Then just get to work! Here are some of the tutorials which helped me!
2. How To Solder - Soldering Tutorial
3. How to Solder

Make sure all cracks are covered with solder!

After you're done assemble the relay and plug it back in. Test if your seats work!
As I've said I did mine couple months ago and it works fine!
P.S. saved money was spent on LED bulbs =)
As the Beullwinkle link is dead, here is another link for the lower dash removal.
Pelican Instructions for removing lower dash

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
44 Posts
My elderly SLK 320 has been suffering from intermittent electric seat failure over the past few months.

The British bank holiday weekend gave me the opportunity to investigate and remediate.

The relay board had the same two dry joints on the relay power pins as in the earlier photos, plus a couple of smaller cracked joints at component level.
Ten minutes with a fine tip soldering iron, and I have two fully working seats.

Many thanks to the previous posters who took the time to document their findings.

Apologies for the poor macro images.

·
* Registered
2003 SLK 320
6 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I did this is exactly what I did today and the seats seem to be fixed now. Thank you for the instructions and picture of relay location.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts