Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
since im on vacation, I will try this tomorrow. crossing fingers. hope taking the dash down isn't a pain like my old brittle 98 was. every piece I touched broke.

·
Premium Member Minion
5,602 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
well last nite...no power seats...this a.m before I started..no power seats..after yanking out the relay, soldering a few spots on the relay..BAM! power seats so far every time I hit the button! thanks for this thread and HAPPY TURKEY DAY..it just sucked to tell folks yeah I have power seats and everything..only to have them hit the button and say.."oh really" LMBO

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
17 Posts
Thanks,

I went to Disassemble link, but instructions for taking out lower dash were very brief.

I have worked on relays and such, but I just got this car so I was hoping to get a little more detail on taking out lower dash before doing this.

On the positive side, my seat started to work again so I adjusted it pretty good. Hopefully no one else will drive it and it goes back on and they adjust.

But now it stopped working so it is at least it is adjusted for me...

·
Banned
801 Posts
A very useful and informative post. I'd like to see more like this. Unfortunately, many people come here with problems but few with solutions.

BTW, I have manual seats too. I'll always prefer a pure mechanical solution to a mechanical-electronic one due to reliability. If you look underneath power seats, you'll find a bunch of wires, motors, and of course relays somewhere. Surprisingly this area is subjected to a lot of dirt and moisture.

I have adjusted my manual seats once in five years. The same thing for the steering wheel.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
20 Posts
I found some better dis-assembly instructions here:
Pelican Technical Article - Mercedes SLK 230 - Lower Left Dash Interior Panel Removal

My seats had worked intermittently since I purchased the car 2 weeks ago. My daughter is learning to drive, and she (and I) were getting frustrated with the seat adjustment. She wanted to go practice on Sunday - but the seat wouldn't move. I made a half baked attempt to get to the relay - following some poor instructions on the panel removal - and gave up.

Yesterday, the seat relay was working again - so I adjusted the seat halfway for my daughter, and then switched my daughter places. When she attempted to finish adjusting the seat - the relay was caput.

So now the seat was in midway position - too close for me; too far for her. This time I found better instructions on removing the panel, and I was able to make the repair.

Found one bad solder joint in my relay. My soldering iron didn't work very well, but I finally got it. Seats working great now!

the disassble instruction are not very detailed at all and useless

·
Registered
17 Posts
The seats in my SLK320 worked intermittently in the past months. I took the relay out and disassembled it but I could not spot any obvious defects on the electronic board inside (all connections looked fine). I purchased a new relay, replaced the old one and it seems that the problem is fixed. Many thanks to everyone who posted here - very helpful thread!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks from the UK

Hi Jayson.
Found your advice spot on didn't have a clue what the fault could be but you saved me a lot of time and money, the SLK is my wife's:laugh: car and she is shorter than my so this was difficult when I wanted to Drive, hopefully now I can have some fun again.:smile::smile:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Jayson! I would like to see if you still have those directions on how to remove the dash to remove the relay for power seat issues. The link you originally provided is no longer active. Both my seats on my SLK 230 work on occasion and I want to get them fixed finally.

Also, once you remove the dash, is the relay easy to locate?

Thank you in advance and Merry Christmas!

·
Administrator/Founding Member since 2006
101,295 Posts
Hello Jayson! I would like to see if you still have those directions on how to remove the dash to remove the relay for power seat issues. The link you originally provided is no longer active. Both my seats on my SLK 230 work on occasion and I want to get them fixed finally.

Also, once you remove the dash, is the relay easy to locate?

Thank you in advance and Merry Christmas!
Link working for me
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1426300-accessing-seat-adjustment-relay.html

·
Administrator/Founding Member since 2006
101,295 Posts

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
40 Posts
My car has been sitting for a week and all weekend the seats wouldn't adjust
This morning I took it out for 20 minutes with the heating on and when I got out, the seats worked perfectly. Which suggests a damp/cold issue for the relay. I'll get myself another and when the weather improves, get my specs on and start pulling the dash to bits. yay!

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
40 Posts
An update... Using the car and less rain means the relay has been working fine. So I replaced it anyway!

I followed the following instructions from "the bird" - Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Lower Left Dash Panel Removal | 1998-2004 | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

But... managed to avoid chunks of it. I got to the relay by doing Fig1-3. My whole vent unit (fig4/5) came out in one piece. Did fig 6 and saw the relay and could get it out. However, without doing Fig 7 and getting the fuse/light module out of the way, I couldn't fit the new one. It was a bit of a squeeze (may need to do more if you have big hands). Screwed it all back together and I have gone from a working set of seats to a working set of seats!

What was amazing to me is that the "outboard" side of the steering column is so packed yet the "inboard" side is empty.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good evening. Thanks to this forum I was able to get my passenger seat working again. There is something else wrong with the driver's seat though, as soon as I replaced the relay and re-inserted the engine bay fuses, the fuse for the right side blew. This happened twice, so I didn't try a third time. The switch cover is broken off, so I'm thinking that there is a short somewhere in the switch mechanism of the seat, beyond me unfortunately :( The seat has stopped working in a position that makes removing it very difficult to work on or remove, any ideas?

Thanks again for this thread, was super chuffed with myself for getting the old relay out and the new relay in and excited that the passenger seat is working.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts