Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
* Registered - Looking for an SLK
Fleet of bottom feeder W210's....
38 Posts
Sounds like steering lock failure. This is a common issue on 203 and 204 chassis. Since the SLK uses the same steering lock as the w203, I think you can get away with a steering lock emulator.

Buy the W203 ESL emulator, they're all over the place on eBay. They may be labeled as W210,W211,W203 ESL emulator, it's the same thing.

When you get it, remove the driver side footwell cover, play with the ignition until the ESL unlocks, then unplug the ESL. Turn off ignition and take key out, and install emulator into the plug for ESL.

Your car should start right up. But you will not have steering lock, but it should work more or less permanently.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,239 Posts
Try turning off all the convenience options.. steering lowering, folding mirrors. If this helps it could indicate a voltage problem.

Maya ~ Taptalk

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
IT'S FIXED!!! The problem was indeed the steering lock. I broke down and paid to have the lock replaced with a new one. It hurt to the tune of $1100 but it's done right and it won't strand my wife again. (I hope). Sincere thanks to all of the knowledgeable input you all offered.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts