Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

*Registered
2006 SLK55 AMG
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my 06 slk55 AMG. Noticed the outer sheathing that keeps the wires together is falling apart. Under the seat and in the trunk area for the top so far. No exposed wires just the outer plastic. Heard they used biodegradable wires for a bit, but luckily it seams cosmetic for now. Should I worry about this or does anyone have experience with it? Thanks 馃憤

*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
Those plastic sheathings are for show mostly. Collect the cables and make it .. "simple and easy" to pull cables around. Those in the engine compartment and under the car (i.e. exposed harnesses) double-serves as environment protection.

Other than that, it's not a problem. It just looks bad. I personally wouldn't worry about it. Changing them would require MASSIVE amounts of work!! If you're worried, put some electric tape on them to cover up where they're falling apart to stop .. "stuff" getting in there and possibly grind the outer sheathing of the cables themselves.

Founding Member 2006
i've lost sheating in trunk (black) but wires intact

*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
Removing my door mirrors completely the other day, the loom wrapping is breaking down and that is the fibre type. The glue in the wrapping is just a greasy goo now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts