Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered 1998 SLK230K
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just collected my first SLK yesterday, a silver '98 230k. Generally the car is on great condition (very pleased), just a few of the usual issues, stone chips etc.
The main thing is how the interior has worn. It's a red interior so shows all the regular wear signs.

I usually do work myself but has anyone had their interior repainted professionally?
What kind of cost is this?

A guide price would be really helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
check out my garage. do you want to stay red? if you maybe might think about keeping your red seats and recolour the trim black? the standard paint on the r170s is dire. mine wasn't too bad but just on a whim, because I had about 3% paint peel, I very carefully used some methylated spirits and very fine grade wire wool.. on the basis that the paint was just starting to go in some very small areas but knowing from reading write ups, that the car is prone to shoddy interior paint, I basically took the dash back to base black plastic. was a pain to do, maybe a good few hours work, but I think looks better. some of the early slk interiors take some believing. was just a thought in case you thought you might have a go.. but you can but the touch up paints also. my rational was to take it back to base plastic and its job done. hope you get it sorted , kevin

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,161 Posts
Womble,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,537 Posts
Hi, I just collected my first SLK yesterday, a silver '98 230k. Generally the car is on great condition (very pleased), just a few of the usual issues, stone chips etc.
The main thing is how the interior has worn. It's a red interior so shows all the regular wear signs.

I usually do work myself but has anyone had their interior repainted professionally?
What kind of cost is this?

A guide price would be really helpful.

Thanks
I repainted the interior myself
Interior spray paint from Germany - Mercedes-Benz Forum
I used paint from VOLICO.de - von Liebenstein Consulting - EU SHOP
I repainted 7 years ago & all of the areas that I stripped & repainted have not chipped or flaked.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320 Wizard of ID
595 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi Womble!
I am new here too and also just "collected" a SLK 320. Glad you asked about this because I have the same issue on the lower dash and around the center console area. All the rest of the interior is in good stead. I thought about checking out professional painting too but haven't checked into that yet.
So far I find the two suggestions from tcrankwa, leapyfish and manley to be good potential fixes. Mine is already black.
Red can sure be challenging especially here in sunny Florida!
I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this thread.
Thanks for posting!! Good journey!
McSLK

·
Registered
57 Posts
I resprayed with paint from Volico - its the only place to get it from - and it will still come off the minute something rubs against it.

The paint does come off so I wouldn't waste your money getting it done professionally, just respray/ touch up over the black coming through. Its pretty easy to do.
It is what it is at the end of the day and getting it done professionally won't change how easily the paint comes away from the vinyl. Pretty easily.

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
37 Posts
I watched a video on youtube on how to touch up the interior of an R170.
I bought the paint from ebay and all up it cost A$50-
It took about half an hour to complete and I hardly used any paint at all.
It looks really great.
Before you pay someone else to do it, have a go yourself; the feeling of acheivement, for someone who is not all that mechanical, was a big reward.
Welcome to the SLK world too.

·
Registered 2009 SLK300
54 Posts
I just did mine yesterday with Viponds from Australia. Has anyone used both Volico and Viponds? How do they compare?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for sharing that htb57!
Getting into a major removal of the panels was overwhelming me as its been a long time for me in working on refinish of a car. When I've taken things apart it seems I always have parts leftover!
However after watching this video I think my order for the paint is happening right away & without fear! After all if I paint my nails, how hard can this be, right?!?!? LOL!
Of course, I'll probably have to do it at midnight as we have already hit the 90's here in tropical Florida!!
Thanks as well to the person who put that up on video....I am a visual learner especially with stuff like this!
McSLK

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ordered Volico paint off of ebay. Apparently that is how you can get it in the U.S. and also how you get the bottle that you can use with a sponge applicator. It was just shy of $40 which includes about $9.45 in shipping charges.
I just searched for kvl2 R170 Mercedes interior paint
Apparently kvl2 is what they market it to the U.S. as and it is in the bottled format probably prohibited in some legal manner to come in the spray container. Sure you can put it in a spray painter, perhaps but I am just going to try the dabbing method. Much more my "speed!" LOL!
Will try taking pics, describing my method and outcome and keep you posted!
McSLK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.