Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "auto dimming" feature in my interior rear view mirror failed about 6 months ago back where the liquid inside droped halfway down and it's clear on top. I was just curious if anyone knew how to remove the inside mirror and if there were any electrical connections to it? I would like to buy a new one, but that a little over 200 dollars and I was trying to save a few bucks by just taking apart my mirror and draining the liquid out some how and putting it back up w/o the "auto dimming" feature. Anyone have some thoughts about how to take on this task and save me some $$$?

Thanks,
Katherine

·
Registered
393 Posts
. . . I would like to buy a new one, but that a little over 200 dollars and I was trying to save a few bucks by just taking apart my mirror and draining the liquid out some how and putting it back up w/o the "auto dimming" feature. Anyone have some thoughts about how to take on this task and save me some $$$?

Thanks,
Katherine
Don't know that you can drain the "fluid" and get a good image back. (Though it would have to be better than the "ink blot."

There is a place that will refurb the mirror for a lot less than new, but I didn't know about it before I had the dealer replace mine. I know it listed here, but not sure I have the right name . . . (You will find a bunch of threads though and the info is in there somewhere.)

SYBESMA'S ELECTRONICS name has been associated with this problem/solution. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Even the rebuilt ones are a little pricey IMO. I decided I could live without the auto-dimming feature. So I very carefully made a paper template and went to my local glass shop to have them cut me a new mirrow. I had the new one made so that it would fit exactly (or as closely as possible) in the existing trim, then I just stuck it over the old one with some industrial strength double sided tape.
I did that amost a year ago now and I haven't thought about it since

·
Registered
43 Posts
There is a manual dim mirror available from M-B part number 170-810-03-17 which can be purchased on-line from several M-B outlets. As I remember it was about $40 or so. It is compatible with the stock mount in the SLK.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,745 Posts
Keep an eye out on eBay you can often get a good deal on an original mirror ! You could also try this , although I should point out that the lip on the casing for the R170 is only a couple of mm allowing for less margin than in the R171 . Also note that I have improved the finishing process with a sanding disc coupled up to my bench grinder for the finishing touches and this seems to work great !

http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r171/26700-aftermarket-parking-sensors.html

·
Registered 2000 SLK200K
358 Posts
I had the same problem on my left and interior mirrors. As it is very expensive to replace them both I looked for a cheap solution and did as below:

Left mirror: removed to mirror and found out the liquid is between a mirror and a glass in the front. I pryed the glass and cleaned the lcd mass with nail paint remover. Removed the electric connctions on the mirror. Installed back. Now clean as new, without dimming of course. Spent zero bucks. :)

Interior: While trying to pry the glass, I broke the mirror. :( I went to a local mirror shop and they cut a mirror exactly same size. Installed it back. Perfect fit and view. Cost me 5$ :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the same problem on my left and interior mirrors. As it is very expensive to replace them both I looked for a cheap solution and did as below:

Left mirror: removed to mirror and found out the liquid is between a mirror and a glass in the front. I pryed the glass and cleaned the lcd mass with nail paint remover. Removed the electric connctions on the mirror. Installed back. Now clean as new, without dimming of course. Spent zero bucks. :)

Interior: While trying to pry the glass, I broke the mirror. :( I went to a local mirror shop and they cut a mirror exactly same size. Installed it back. Perfect fit and view. Cost me 5$ :)
How do I take the mirror off is glued on the windsheild? Is it sqrewed? Then how would I take the glass out of the plastic frame I can care less about the glass cause its cheap to replace the plasic frame is what I am scarted about breaking.

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,524 Posts
How do I take the mirror off is glued on the windsheild? Is it sqrewed? Then how would I take the glass out of the plastic frame I can care less about the glass cause its cheap to replace the plasic frame is what I am scarted about breaking.
Look at the mirror mount, there is a small hole in it.
Place a small screwdriver into the hole (phillips or standard, it does not matter)
& using it as a lever to twist the mirror mount off of the windshield.

theres a video & description in the SLK Encyclopedia.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,266 Posts
Bluemoon,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t already.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

We’d like you to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car) free.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered
241 Posts
We replaced our yellowed auto dimming rear view mirror with a manual version which looks almost identical (same form factor). It is now clear - no yellowing. It was easy to replace ourselves and was not that expensive to buy from the MB dealership.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.