Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have recently got an slk and the interior light and boot light do not work properly.

Of I turn the interior light on it will not turn off when I get out our of I stay the engine.

The left side light also does not work. I've done a search and found a thread on here that points to an issue that's very similar however the roof will not operate.

My roof works fine so any ideas what it could be causing the issue? It's a right pain having no interior light!

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,745 Posts
Have a look at your PSE pump and its connectors , they suffer from getting wet/damp and giving these sort of problems ..

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,387 Posts
Just want to make sure that you are aware that the switch above the mirror has three selections. OFF, ON, ON with doors open. Also there is a delay once the doors are closed in the lights going off. Many new owners are not aware of this. You might I am just making sure you are.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Curro where will I find that?

Gbarringer I'm sure mine doesn't. It just has I and o with no middle and then a button in front of that.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Sitting in driver's seat.

There is a push switch in the middle of the dome, nearest to the back of the car which is an on / off.

Below that switch, nearer the windscreen / front of car is a three-position switch which slides left and right. Try different positions of that switch. From memory, the middle position is the one you want.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies :)

I'll have a look in the boot and see what I find.

Reference the light I'm certain I have a left right on off switch and in front of that there is a simple push in switch.

None have a third position, but hopefully I'm wrong and I've missed something. Haha I'll take a picture and try when I get in the car next :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK just went out to have a look and I do not have a 3 position switch. I have a on off switch and a dome switch.

I popped the cover off and swapped the left bulb to right and it worked so there must be something at fault causing the left light not to work at all and the right to stay on all the time.

Any more advice, would the item in the not cause this?

I've tried attaching the PIC but it won't let me on my tablet!

·
2,387 Posts
On the side switch stop in the middle, as the switch does not have strong click for each location. The light that does not burn the connection where the bulb fits in are very touchy, might need to work on them. Had this problem with one of the lights on a 170 I had a few years back.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's a pic of the interior of a SLK 320 dome light in this eBay advert. Maybe compare that with yours to see if there's a break or other fault in the circuitry

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/00-01-02-MERCEDES-SLK320-SLK230-INTERIOR-DOME-LIGHT-LAMP-1708200501-OEM-/111099867635?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19de1171f3

That's what mine is like apart from the sos and that other grill. So you can see that there is no middle position switch it won't stay in the middle it clicks from side to side.

Is that different to everyone else's?

I will get it out on the weekend and see if there's anything obvious broken.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have an SLK200 with the same interior switch arrangement one on/off push switch and left to right slider with no middle stop (detente). I believe my light has two bulbs inside but the left one has stopped working! I need to find out how to open and replace it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well neither of my bulbs work now!

Nice to see someone else with the same setup as me. There is 100% not a middle position on that switch arrangement.

My guess is maybe it's the box that's mentioned in the boot. I will investigate tomorrow and report back!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK well I think I have found the issue! The interior lights timer is 5 mins!!!

When putting the interior lights back in and dicking around in the car I noticed the lights turned off!

I've checked the owners manual and it states in there that the lights stay on for 5 mins!

What a useless design! So it turns out they do work correctly it just takes far too long to turn off so they become unusable!

·
2,387 Posts
You was correct the switch is either on or off and not middle location. Please note my post two days ago stated there was a delay after closing the door the light stays on.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.