Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have a 2002 SLK320 manual trans. and the interior dome light work fine when switched to the right (on) position. But when I close the doors and trunk and start driving, the light will not turn off, I have to manually turn it of by sliding the switch to the off position. My security works fine and there seems to be no problems with the car otherwise. What could this be? Please help.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
96 Posts
The interior dome light and trunk light are inter-connected... Maybe the switch of the trunk light is not working and that light is always "on", so the light of the dome also...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Try a safe mode... Don't try to close your son in the trunk... Put a video recorder in record mode in the trunk... Dome light in door mode... Close the trunk and the doors... Lock the car with key's central locking... Within 30 seconds the light of the trunk and the dome light has to shut down... Open the trunk in two minutes and check the recorded sequence to see if the light is comming off or staying on...

Another information...
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/2001_SLK3..._the_doors_unlocked_Any_clues_Sleepless_in_CT

·
Registered
21 Posts
Trunk light? Anyone got a pic to show where it should be please?
I wondered why my interior light came on when I opened the boot/trunk but no light inside - I think mine must be missing...

·
Registered
843 Posts
added pic of trunk light

I have a trunk light on the left side rear paneling, sorta low in the trunk just to right of the left tail light (inside the trunk of course). Comes on when trunk is open and stays on longer than the interior light, at least while the doors are closed.

Edit: pic of trunk light below.

Attachments

Reactions: Ady

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you very much - I shall investigate in the morning - I think mine might have a random hole there...for now

·
Registered
21 Posts
Update: Yep, sure enough, I had a random hole.
Poked finger in and found the light unit inside. I think the bulb has gone so will need to get another, but I now (almost) have a light :)

Apologies for jumping in on your thread KA3AX. I shall now leave it and hope you resolve your problem

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't worry about it Any... kole301, I have done what you suggested and the lights in the cabin and the trunk stayed on for more than 30 seconds until I turned it off inside the cabin. But the security and the locking mechanism of the car work great and all the lights blink as supposed to... I'm lost! :(

·
Registered
96 Posts
The dome light switch has three positions... To the left "off"; to the right "on"; in the middle/center (neutral) it has to dim (soft fade) when you are closing the doors... Try this... At least this is the situation in Eurpean models... For US models I read this recommendation: Press the botton at the middle of the dome light ONCE, thelight will go out in 15 seconds. If the light still does not go out in 15 sec, press the botton again and you will see the result in 15 sec... If not solves you have to check the doors' and trunk's switchs... Another point: Sometimes the plastic lens gets slightly out of alignment and makes the switch stick in the "on" position. Pop the lens out gently and snap it back in again to see if that helps... If the PSE (door lock pump) which is in the trunk is wet because of humidity/moisture/corrosion or otherwise this can cause also a similar problem...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kole301, Thank you very, very much for the information! I tried the 15 seconds thing and it didn't help. My SLK320 has only two positions for the door selector,
- off,
- door. Then there is a button to turn on the lights overriding the door selector switch. I tried what you suggested and the lights just stayed on all the time. But then I looked in the trunk for that PSE unit and guess what, indeed one of the plugs has intense corrosion around the pins! The unit actually had some water on it too! Now, how would be the best way to repair this thing. I already took it out of the car. I am a computer repair technician so I think I can handle the tedious work that would be involved... However I could use ANY help that anyone can provide in guiding me through what exactly I have to clean and what to watch out for.

Thanks again guys!​

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I cleaned up the corrosion as best as I could, but it still doesn't work. Actually I think sometimes the lights turn off now after about 5 minutes or something. I tried to reseat the connector that had the corrosion on it and it didn't help... :( I also took off the dome lights assembly to look why one of my lights went out all of a sudden, I noticed that the connections were loose and the bulbs where loose too. I tried fixing them as best as I could and now both of the lights are working but the previous problem still stands! What do I do now?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I cleaned up the corrosion as best as I could, but it still doesn't work. Actually I think sometimes the lights turn off now after about 5 minutes or something. I tried to reseat the connector that had the corrosion on it and it didn't help... :( I also took off the dome lights assembly to look why one of my lights went out all of a sudden, I noticed that the connections were loose and the bulbs where loose too. I tried fixing them as best as I could and now both of the lights are working but the previous problem still stands! What do I do now?
From the owners manual:
"If a door remains open and the switch is in position 1, the
interior lamp switches off after approximately
5 minutes."

I think you may have to bite the bullet & buy a new PSE

·
Registered
4 Posts
PSE units Interchangeability

I have similar problems to those in this thread ie Courtesy lights and non functioning alarm/ internal door lock switch wont lock (although it will unlock)
I have traced the wiring isolated various bits and come to the conclusion it is the PSE unit Mine is a 2001 facelift 230K and the part number for the PSE unit is 1708000848 I have seen advertised secondhand units for earlier SLKs part number 1708000648 and 1708000548 Does anyone know if these will work with mine??? and if yes will it affect any of the functionality (esp Courtesy lights /alarm/tow switch/internal movement sensor and auto lock)

·
Administrator/Founding Member since 2006
101,358 Posts
fyi Martin, posts are from almost 2 years ago

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.