Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My interior door panel has become unstuck.
Has anybody got any idea as to which type of glue I can use to stick it back to the foam that is underneath?

Thanks

Mick

·
Registered
16 Posts
Replacing the clips that hold the panel to the door frame may be what you are looking for. Unless you are talking about the material that is on the door panel itself. Then thats a little different.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
My 2000 door panels are doing the same thing. Any suggestions where to purchase clips?
I would start at a M-B Dealer. Just go to the Parts department and tell them what you're looking for. Small clips like that probably won't be more than a couple of bucks, and it will help you to start developing a relationship with the guys behind the parts counter. They have a lot of leeway in pricing, and if they like you they can use it.

You can look them up on the internet yourself, of course, at any of the mercedes parts sites. You could also look in EPC, but the older the car and the smaller the part the more difficult it is to find them, but you will learn a lot about your car using the Electronic Parts Catalog.

Best Wishes.

·
Registered
579 Posts
On our R170 Door panels, It is made up of three parts, the outside ring (black) and the 2 inner parts held together by your door handle. What happens to most of them, is that the two inserts becomes unglued from the black shell. Another thing that happens is that, there are about 6 clips on each door panel that slide in to a plastic retainer, than this is glued to the door panel, those tend to break off too. I talked to my interior guy that has been doing this for 30+ years and he told me the best stuff in the world to use on that is ABS Plastic glue from Menards found by the pvc pipes supply's. This stuff really works good, i pulled off all my clips, reglued them to the panel, reglued center insert to the panel and i was done! I used some clamps and sand bags to keep it in place till it dried, if you want more info, just ask, here is a before and after, and also the glue.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is the centre panel that has become unglued.
As regards the ABS cement that you have used, is this used for gluing together plastic waste pipes in the home. If so we have a similar product in France that I could try. I am just a bit scared of trying something and then find that it melts the plastic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

Can confirm the ABS glue/cement works a treat, can confirm it is the stuff used to fix pipes. My door panels had come away too, as described by Bradley, on my 1999 R170. Both the centre panels needed fixing and the main panel at the bottom of both doors.

I didn't remove the panels to fix but I did it in separate stages.
I firstly glued the centre panels individually, using rubber door wedges to hold panels in place, whilst the glue set.

For the front of the panels placed wedge between dash and door panel to hold firm.
For the rear of the door panels I placed wedge between widest part of seat and door panel, you may need a spacer approx 30 mm thick to assist you with this. (Sliding seat to manoeuvre into best position). Left overnight and worked a treat.

I used clamps to hold the main panel in place at the bottom of the door, using foam as buffer between door panel and clamp not to mark panel
Again worked a dream

I Purchased the glue from a general DIY store.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just put two small diameter 1/2" self-tapping screws into the front of the lower panel nearest the hinges (can't see them when the door is shut) and one on the edge farthest from the others. I tried all kinds of glue and struck out. Besides, it's too cold here for the glue to set anyways.

·
Registered
113 Posts
the 2 inner parts held together by your door handle. What happens to most of them, is that the two inserts becomes unglued from the black shell. .
Thanks for the advice.............My problem is the insert at the front and back of the door have come "unglued".............I can pull out this panel maybe 1/2". Does one apply the "glue" to the whole back side of the panel or where???..........Yes, I understand, as a fella describes after your thoughts, that one has to figure out a way to hold the panel in place until the "glue" sets..........Just really wonder about the where to apply the "glue". Take a small brush and apply it like over the whole back side of the panel????? This is perhaps a 3" or so tall piece and reach back in with the brush maybe 2" or so............Thanks for the help........God bless.........Dennis

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
889 Posts
All kidding aside, as an old fart from the automotive interior coverstock manufacturing industry I caution that you be very careful with ABS pipe cement around the face film itself.
The solvents in the cement are typically Methyl Ethyl Ketone and Toluene and as such love to eat PVC. Even if they don't dissolve it, they can cause it to wrinkle even if applied directly to the back of the surface film that covers the door panel.
Just a caution.
I haven't run into the issue yet and hopefully will not.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Did the wedge trick on mine for the 2 tone inner panel coming away & that worked with UHU glue.
However, having taken the panel off completely all of the plastic clip holders became detached & gluing them back on is a bitch. They really don't wanna stay in place at all!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I reglued all mine when I had the car apart to fit the new wings about 18 months ago I just used sikaflex its still holding together fine. I removed the door cards and used small g clamps to gently hold everything together over night

·
Registered
18 Posts
Reglue-ing to foam wont work!

The problem with re-glueing, is that the foam underneath is usually dried out, thats why it separated in the first place... You would be better served to replace the clips if it has them:crying:, or replace the panel.

·
Registered
113 Posts
FWIW: Here are photos of the simple, permanent solution to my door panels popping out at the front and back. I realize it's a visible fix, but it took me all of 3 minutes.

NICE fix and looks factory from these old eyes.....Thanks for the pic as I needed it's contrast to point out exactly where my panel is loose...........NOT the whole door panel or the lower white panel that Davey fixed; but front and back where I have outlined in green.......Passenger and driver door both have this......I talked about this above and yes, am worried about eating the foam with the abs cement/glue/adhesive. Yes, one could rivet it...........how about some of the various kinds of upholstery "contact" cements or glue. Even the counter top type???.............thanks........God bless......Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
NICE fix and looks factory from these old eyes.....Thanks for the pic as I needed it's contrast to point out exactly where my panel is loose...........NOT the whole door panel or the lower white panel that Davey fixed; but front and back where I have outlined in green.......Passenger and driver door both have this......I talked about this above and yes, am worried about eating the foam with the abs cement/glue/adhesive. Yes, one could rivet it...........how about some of the various kinds of upholstery "contact" cements or glue. Even the counter top type???.............thanks........God bless......Dennis
Ah, I didn't catch on that it was the upper panel. I'd be hesitant to put screws in the upper panel, though. Sorry for the misunderstanding and good luck. Unfortunately, I've never used the glues mentioned above.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.