Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
bah mostly old slk's.... sides what about the thousands of people who have had a great experience?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I think dealers are generally pretty aweful. I found in the UK and US any experience i've had with car or motorcycle dealers has been very bad. Although living in germany visiting the shop with my motorcycle was a shear pleasure. may just have got lucky?

D

·
0 Posts
haha good find.

To be fair MB did have a bad patch from about 00-04 caused by directors who tried to flog sub standard stuff on the back of the brand name even going as far as not correctly rust proofing the cars!

But with the newer models the quality is coming back still not as good as it used to be in the time of the 124 but a whole lot better than it was during the 203's reign.

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
Many, many years ago, my first purchased car was a VW camper. I picked it up in Germany and watched them perform the service over there. I was VERY impressed with their care and knowledge. As an example, I watched the guy pulled the hand brake several times and releasing it. I asked him what he was doing and he said the spec for the brake was that it could be pulled just 3 to 5 clicks before it would be set. He was checking that and if it wasn't in that range, he would adjust the brakes.

By contrast, when I brought it back to the US, the first service I asked the guy what the spec was on that hand brake and he said, "If it holds the car, it is set right."

On meeting a German mechanic in Holland, he said they had pretty tough schooling requirements to be a mechanic. He had to take a couple of years of mechanic training after high school.

In the US (at the time at least), to be a mechanic you probably didn't even have to graduate from high school and I'm sure there was no mechanic's school.

So that would probably explain the differences.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.