Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
* Registered
2007 SLK350
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that if I initiate some major electrickery before the car has finished doing its 'self-test' during starting/ first running, I get the 'passenger airbag off' and red SRS light on the dash. It has done it twice now (over 2 and a bit years!) and today was because I started opening the roof while the engine was still churning over... I am SO impatient!

The other time it did it was due to the exact same sequence of events, but the only thing I infer from this is that I never, ever, learn! Both times it went away after a brief stop and re-start. I am assuming that there is a lack of voltage somewhere during this initial phase that is upsetting some computer logic somewhere and the remedy would be another new battery/use the car more/keep it on permanent trickle charge.

Why do modern(ish) cars have to be sooooooo very complicated and fussy?

·
* Registered
2006 SLK350
27 Posts
I think the start sequence was possibly disrupted. My red SRS has an annoying habit of rearing its ugly little red head if I start her up in - any degree temperature. Wait until engine has run for a good 10 minutes and restart no more warning lights. Fist time it happened it cost me a $250CDN visit to my Benz dealership to "reset" the SRS. Amaizingly though I bought a diagnostic tool with THAT exact SRS reset on Amazon for $59CDN with (yes with) free shipping

·
* Registered
2004 SLK350
19 Posts
How old is your battery? My guess would be old or not fully charged battery. Startup sequence drain alot of juice from battery, so adding another load like roof might drop voltage low enough to trip airbag computer

·
* Registered
2007 SLK350
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The battery is less than two years old and a good make I think it was simply slightly low as the car hasn't been used a lot recently (no great surprise there!) and I did upset it with the roof as I was being a bit keen!

·
Administrator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
18,638 Posts
The battery is less than two years old and a good make I think it was simply slightly low as the car hasn't been used a lot recently (no great surprise there!) and I did upset it with the roof as I was being a bit keen!
Undoubtedly low as quite a few members report battery issues after 2-3 weeks of non-use.

Get a trickler like Ctek or BatteryTender and use it when the car is going to sit idle. In these covid times, I put mine on (have both) every time I park the MB regardless of expected future usage.

·
* Registered
2009 SLK55 AMG
1,035 Posts
Undoubtedly low as quite a few members report battery issues after 2-3 weeks of non-use.

Get a trickler like Ctek or BatteryTender and use it when the car is going to sit idle. In these covid times, I put mine on (have both) every time I park the MB regardless of expected future usage.
If you take 10 minutes to connect a Battery Tender as recommended by Leonardo it is a two minute fiddle to connect it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts