Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
*Registered
1997 SLK230
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

Just to say thank you for all your support so far. There was a lot of teeth sucking at the insurer’s appointee repairers today about my car. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what it’s worth please? It’s a rust free R170.0447 with 88k on the clock. No dents, full service history, rust was treated and entire panels re sprayed by a high quality paint shop ( Paint Monkey in Hemyock ) and nearly new tyres. Car is silver with unmarked black leather interior.

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
8,685 Posts
Somewhere between £900 and £5000

If it's excellent condition pre CAT theft I would expect £3 - 3.5k, or ask for a settlement figure and you keep and fix the car ;)

A couple of, (not yet sold) links to Silver 1997's with similar Mileage, both ( look in pics ) to be in excellent condition and both have some nice options including Xenon Headlamps and Heated Seats. The baby cack colour interior is the cheaper car, I prefer the red interior, but that price is one helluva premium and I prefer Black interiors anyway. I wouldn't buy either even if exactly as descibed, but personal choice etc etc yak yak, and someone will buy 'em ;) :-

£5495 .... (optimistic but 1 owner 74k mile with FSH car) :-

£2595 .... (realistic for a quick sale, with 80k miles) :-

·
8,685 Posts
Now, having posted above, here's what I would do if it were one of my cars ..................

Factor in how much is your NCB worth.

All your Car needs is a full exhaust inc CAT's, and perhaps Lambda Sensor(s) if they cut the wires !!

Phone Carl at Westminster Auto Spares, (Leeds) 07501 - 615748, I wouldn't mind betting he can hook you up with a good used Exhaust system, he was breaking loadsa R170's not too long ago ;)
He doesn't sell old shite, all his parts are good ;)

So it might actually work out cheaper for you to buy a good used system and keep yer NCB by withdrawing the claim ;)

I wouldn't even have considered claiming, the NCB on my trade insurance is worth a lot to me, although it's protected, I'd still have to pay an excess, etc etc yak yak.

Do your maths and never ever no not ever accept the first offer they give you ;)

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
42,718 Posts
Hello Guys,

Just to say thank you for all your support so far. There was a lot of teeth sucking at the insurer’s appointee repairers today about my car. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what it’s worth please? It’s a rust free R170.0447 with 88k on the clock. No dents, full service history, rust was treated and entire panels re sprayed by a high quality paint shop ( Paint Monkey in Hemyock ) and nearly new tyres. Car is silver with unmarked black leather interior.
How many owners?
Any advisory on last mot?

·
*Premium Member
Sold my SLK
8,142 Posts
Buy it back and have a custom exhaust company fit a sport cat.
pit will still pass the mot and they can also repair any damage to the rest of the exhaust at the same time Or make you a full stainless system.
to give you an idea of price we used infinity exhausts in Bristol to make a full stainless system including sport cat for our classic Impreza WRX for £600.

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
3,704 Posts
Do your maths and never ever no not ever accept the first offer they give you ;)
About 20yrs ago, one of my ex gf's had her Astra window smashed, radio ripped out and the seats pee'd on for good measure. It wasn't worth a lot - probs £800 at the time - Insurers offered £250 :ROFLMAO: I told her the exact same thing: DO NOT ACCEPT THAT! They came back with an offer of £1250 🤡 which unsurprisingly, she did accept 🙃

·
8,685 Posts

·
8,685 Posts

·
*Registered
1997 SLK230
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Buy it back and have a custom exhaust company fit a sport cat.
pit will still pass the mot and they can also repair any damage to the rest of the exhaust at the same time Or make you a full stainless system.
to give you an idea of price we used infinity exhausts in Bristol to make a full stainless system including sport cat for our classic Impreza WRX for £600.
Thanks, l’ll give them a call as they’re within striking distance of me ( Taunton ) did you need to take the car there while they made the exhaust?

·
*Registered
1997 SLK230
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where I live (Wisconsin, USA) this car qualifies as a "classic" so it doesn't require emissions testing. We don't have anything like MOT inspection so anything goes. Too bad the steering wheel is on the wrong side lol.
You’d be surprised how easy it is to swop sides. I’ve driven left hand drive cars in France and it’s surprising how quickly you adapt. Always wanted to go to Wisconsin, when’s the best time of year there?

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
28 Posts
You’d be surprised how easy it is to swop sides. I’ve driven left hand drive cars in France and it’s surprising how quickly you adapt. Always wanted to go to Wisconsin, when’s the best time of year there?
I have a customer in the UK around Darlington so I have to switch over when I visit them. I also had to visit a customer in New Zealand and that was the same deal. I never get used to it and drive around terrified the whole time ;)
I'm originally from Florida but I transferred to Wisconsin about 20 years ago, so I think my blood thickened up by now as they say here. Most people seem to think that early Autumn (right about this time of year) is the best time to visit Wisconsin. The trees are displaying their fall colors, the weather is very agreeable and there are lots of Oktoberfest related things going on if you're into that sort of thing. Probably a nice trip would be to fly into Chicago and then drive up to Wisconsin from there. Where I live (Sheboygan) it's about a two hour drive to Chicago. Milwaukee (a must-visit) is only like an hour by car and there's a train that will take you there in 90 minutes. Of course passenger rail service in the US is abysmal even compared to what you have in the UK. It's truly shameful.

·
*Premium Member
Sold my SLK
8,142 Posts
Thanks, l’ll give them a call as they’re within striking distance of me ( Taunton ) did you need to take the car there while they made the exhaust?
Yes, we just sat in their waiting room for an hour and it was all done. They called us out to ensure we were happy with our choice of exhaust tip, noise level and depth of exhaust note before they charged us anything.

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
42,718 Posts
Thank you Holtek it’s pretty good here at this time of year too. It’s a great pity they couldn’t standardise LH RH driving when they had a chance.
It comes from carriage driving I believe. Mr Ford was making them correctly at one point.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts