Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my insurance broker quote me on a 2005 SLK 350. Being mindful that a few years ago, I was paying C$220/month for liability only on a '98 JEEP Wrangler and C$175/month for a 2003 C240 4Matic. She told me that the same package as the one on my C-Class would cost me C$3,400/year on an '05 SLK 350, and, get this...

C$3,000/year on a 2005 SLK 55!

I asked how a car that is worth an easy C$15,000 more be insured for less? My broker explained to me that it works off statistics. So, I finally understood. Out of 100,000 2005 SLKs on the road, more than 90% of them are 350s and the rest are 55s. With more 350s on the road, there is bound to be more cases collisions/incidents, therefore appearing to be less safe resulting in a higher premium. This got my wheels turning. Hmmm... SLK 350 or 55 AMG? Hit Auto Trader for the hells of it. In my area, 2005 350s are finally touching the high-C$30,000, which I expected. The 55 on the otherhand? Just south of C$60,000. Bummer. Looking forward to my SLK 350 with bi-xenon headlights, Airscarf and the 7G-Tronic, the essential options for me to be interested, so my salesperson better keep a sharp eye out!

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
547 Posts
I think people with the SLK55 AMG tend to be older and drive the car much less than those with the standard models. My insurance rate went down going from a Audi TT roadster to a SLK350, but would have been even a bit less with a SLK55.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Same here - but for me the difference between a 350 and a 55 was even less as it's listed as a second car..

·
Registered
349 Posts
same experience, the rate actually went down when I told the agent I am changing from 350 to 55, works really well for me!

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
wow, mine is pretty cheap, just wrote a check for $344 for six months, I question the amount and asked my agent why it is so cheap, he said that the SLK is a safe car, statistics shows there isn't that many stolen SLK and fatalies, The two major reasons why certain models are more expensive then others doesn't apply to the SLK.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,365 Posts
wow, mine is pretty cheap, just wrote a check for $344 for six months, I question the amount and asked my agent why it is so cheap, he said that the SLK is a safe car, statistics shows there isn't that many stolen SLK and fatalies, The two major reasons why certain models are more expensive then others doesn't apply to the SLK.
Interesting, mine in June was $341 for 6 months.
The insurance cost is less for my 09 SLK 350 with higher coverage than it was for my 06 SLK 280.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
547 Posts
Wow... how old are you guys/gals?

I pay $1466.85 / 6 months for two cars. The SLK is listed as the 2nd car and is $739.74 / 6 months. This actually went down a couple hundred when I turned 30 in May. I think it's mostly location effecting the rates though. When I lived close to Chicago, the rates were about 1/2. My parents who are almost 60 pay about what I pay per month, for 6 months of coverage.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Well, I guess age helps me out here (I'm in the over 40 under 50 class :) ) - I'm roughly $500 for the SLK, but I'm carrying pretty high liability cover.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,365 Posts
Wow... how old are you guys/gals?

I pay $1466.85 / 6 months for two cars. The SLK is listed as the 2nd car and is $739.74 / 6 months. This actually went down a couple hundred when I turned 30 in May. I think it's mostly location effecting the rates though. When I lived close to Chicago, the rates were about 1/2. My parents who are almost 60 pay about what I pay per month, for 6 months of coverage.
I have two cars, 2 drivers and my home owners insurance with the same company. I live just 6 miles from Washington DC. I turned 60 a few months ago. Sometimes age does have it's advantages. R)

·
aka Denny
196 Posts
I'm paying $435/6 months through State Farm with full coverage and a low deductible. That's after discounts for multi-car, good driver, and having the house insured through them too. I'm 37 years old.

Out of curiosity I called my agent to ask what the price difference would be if I were older. She told me it drops at 50 and then again (I think) at 60. If I were around 60 today it would only be about $200/6 months.

While I'd like the lower rate, I'm in no hurry to add years to my life.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Im paying around 1100/6 months for a 2005 slk 350... might be because of my age and I also thought it might be because I've never lived in the US so I have no credit or driving record here - however my insurance policy rates me as a safe driver with XX years of driving without an accident so Im wondering if this is just typical for my age/area/vehicle.

I'm 24 and I pay $345 every 6 months and that's full coverage. I have USAA which has really good rates...
Wow, what kind of coverage do you have - How much coverage do you have for liability and so on?

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
Sounds like time for a few people to review who they buy insurance from...

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
My premium on the SLK55 is $490/6 months in Southern California, next to slkluv.

$500 deductible on Auto Collision Insurance, limit is actual cash value. Auto Comprehensive Insurance is also actual cash value with $250 deductible.

Auto Liability Insurance: 250,000/500,000 on bodily injury; property damage at 100K/occurrence. Uninsured motorist is 250,000/500,000. Auto medical payments 5K/person. No deductible on these.

Quoting only the premium without knowing the details on the coverage is hard to compare.

I have 2 other cars with the exact same coverage as above and the following premiums:

2000 BMW 323i : 515/6 months
2003 Honda Odyssey: 577/6 months

4 drivers.

Discounts: Occasional Operator (kid in college), Good Student, Good Driver, Distinguished Driver, Renewal, Multiple Policy, Anti-theft (Lo-Jac).

·
Registered
628 Posts
In CA we paid 2k per year for the SL which was more than we paid for the FX45 and the SLK350 for the same coverage through CAAA but here is the kicker in AZ the same coverage is 1300 ( still AAA )per annum but the registration in CA was 800.00 and here it is 1600.00 per year. AZ motor-V base it on the value of the car they say our year old SL with 24K miles is worth 98,000.00 I told them if they wanted to buy it for that I'd give them the key's and title --- got a good laugh from the clerk.
Off subject but is your daughter still going to school in Sacto?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was amazed when I upgraded from my old '98 Nissan 200SX (yes, the car from my University days as a poor student) to a 2005 SLK350, and my insurance premiums went down for the same coverage. The insurance broker here told me that statistically the number of claims was dramatically lower on the SLK, though the average cost per claim was higher, but combined it worked out to a lower risk category.

Not that I'm going to complain... Even with a 10+ year spotless driving record, my annual insurance (including a bunch of extra insurance, including plenty of 3rd party liability, uninsured motorist, etc) I'm still just under $2K per year, so any savings is definitely a benefit.

Maybe I should upgrade to a 55 and see if I can save even more money. :)

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Just turn 33 last month, multiple car discount, home insurance on the same policy, same coverage as etyu, it was actually cheaper, my premiums went up a little after I recently got a ticket.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Off subject but is your daughter still going to school in Sacto?
Yes Gene, she's doing graduate school in Sacramento. We just visited last holiday weekend (Labor Day). We always think of you and Jo when we pass by Elk Grove on the 5 freeway. :)

·
Registered
940 Posts
My premium on the SLK55 is $490/6 months in Southern California, next to slkluv.

$500 deductible on Auto Collision Insurance, limit is actual cash value. Auto Comprehensive Insurance is also actual cash value with $250 deductible.

Auto Liability Insurance: 250,000/500,000 on bodily injury; property damage at 100K/occurrence. Uninsured motorist is 250,000/500,000. Auto medical payments 5K/person. No deductible on these.

Quoting only the premium without knowing the details on the coverage is hard to compare.

I have 2 other cars with the exact same coverage as above and the following premiums:

2000 BMW 323i : 515/6 months
2003 Honda Odyssey: 577/6 months

4 drivers.

Discounts: Occasional Operator (kid in college), Good Student, Good Driver, Distinguished Driver, Renewal, Multiple Policy, Anti-theft (Lo-Jac).
I only have auto insurance, and only one vehicle so Im guessing that I pay slightly higher for the same coverage as compared to insuring 2-3 vehicles and a home. Here's my insurance in a nutshell:
Bodily Injury Liability: 500,000 per person/per occurrence
Property Damage Liability: 100,000 per occurrence
Comprehensive and Collision are both $500 deductible - the insurance salesman told me this is the lowest I could get as they originally quoted me for $1000 deductible.

Then there's a few minor additional charges like Anti Fraud Fee, Towing and Labor and so on, which only add about 20 bucks total to the total cost.
Currently im paying $1,115.60 for this every 6 months.

Ill definitely shop around for better prices (if possible) when it comes time to renew. I also might have to look into if an SLK55 will quote me for cheaper insurance... I chose the SLK350 partly due to high gas costs but if the insurance saves me 500-1000 a year, that would likely cover the additional gas I would be burning... hehe...

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
may want to check on the Comp and Coll deductible - sometime a small hit ($500) is worth it in saved premiums - my rule of thumb is to get the agent to run a set (say $500 to $2500) and the pick the sweet spot.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.