Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The display which should show the mileage and settings has started to misbehave. It goes completely white, then clears part of the display and shows part of the display messages, which move around the screen. Sometimes they are inverted. I thought it might be a bad contact on the ribbon cable so I pulled the cluster and reseated the cable in the connector. It seems to have made it worse. Not sure if it is the display or the electronics driving the display. If I wobble the connector the display alters a little but doesn't come right. Sometimes it just corrects itself for a while, but I suspect having dismantled things this may not happen again.
Anyone come across this before, was wondering if a replacement upper display screen would be needed or is it something more? This is an example of the display but often whole lines are whited out.
IMG_20210408_163547.jpg

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
104,505 Posts

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
5,326 Posts
LCD gone, might want to buy a sh one, need to me made virgin and then installed on the car.

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Curiously the display was back to normal this morning. Not sure what is going on.
Is it the display itself or the electronics board driving it? I haven't seen these symptoms mentioned by other owners.

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
104,505 Posts
you might have had a self battery reset :D

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well with the display visible again I went to set the clock. Found the display had reset to Danish! Managed to change the language, and eventually got the clock right. I will see if it keeps working.

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the display problem seems to be intermittent. It has cleared and then reverted to the strange broken up display again just when I think it has fixed itself.
I have now bought a used instrument cluster and am looking at how to configure it to my car. I have a EEPROM reader and writer and know the mileage of the car it came from.
I removed the eeprom from the replacement cluster and can read it.
I think the mileage may be stored as the km equivalent in the 2nd and 4th row of the eeprom, can anyone confirm?. Or should I just set everything to FF?
Any insights welcome.
Thanks

Mike

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've never done much with car electronics before but have programmed micro-computers a little. I originally asked if anyone knew whether it was likely to just be the display or the board itself. I could change over the display from the ebay purchased cluster and see if that fixes it. Or I can try to read the eeprom on my current display and copy it to the chip I have removed from the replacement cluster, then re-solder it. It seems you cannot reprogram the chips without removing it from the board. You can read it in situ but it is difficult to get a good connection.

Mike

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
5,146 Posts
I don't know exactly where the Mileage is stored in the Eeprom, @Deplore may well be more help than me, but I'd say definitely do not FF the Eeprom ;)

Probably he will suggest swapping in the Eeprom from the deceased Cluster, that is what I'd do in the abscence of any better info ;)

HTH ;)

Reactions: Avel Du

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
5,326 Posts
i email you back with the virgin dump, you still need to tech in the ic , thas done via vediamo

·
5,146 Posts
Trust me .................

Just swap the Eeproms if you've never used Vediamo ;)

·
* Registered - Looking for an SLK
Fleet of bottom feeder W210's....
157 Posts
Actually swapping the eeprom is a dicey proposition, depends on the cluster and depends on the cluster drive authorization.

i860 method of virgining is actually the better route, because then the cluster can be programmed to the EIS and then take the mileage from it.

Eeprom swap works with older clusters that aren't tied to EIS in some form, and to a limited extent, to early revision of clusters that are tied to the EIS.

W212 cluster eeprom swap would not work, depending on which cluster revision we're talking about. R171 uses W203 cluster electronics, so theoretically eeprom swap would work, but there is a possibility that due to difference in cluster revisions some of the coding in the eeprom would not take in new cluster, hence virgin and remarry via Xentry.

Try with DAS/Xentry first, I don't think IC needs online programming and SCN coding for that, you can do that all offline.

·
5,146 Posts
Actually swapping the eeprom is a dicey proposition, depends on the cluster and depends on the cluster drive authorization.
Ah, thanks for that I didn't know R171 was Drive Auth in Cluster ;)

I'll go back to welding up the rusty R170 ........................

🤣

·
157 Posts
Kinda, drive authorization is not the same as drive authorization that you recognize with keys and engine start or shifting permission and all that crap.

The drive authorization in the cluster is more or less a separate one about the mileage. EIS and cluster match? Then cluster will display the mileage.

EIS does not match cluster? Then you get dashes instead of odometer. If you have the later cars with ASSYST, then they get disabled. If you have the later later car with ASSYST plus and whole bunch of features in the cluster? They get disabled too. No night vision for you.

But that's about it.

The only wrinkle in this whole thing? The mileage redundancy still takes place regardless of the drive authorization, so whichever module that has the higher mileage is the one that forcibly updates the other one. Original cluster with 100k but EIS is from a donor car with 400k? Sorry, the original cluster gets updated to 400k while the drive authorization is denied, so all you see is dashes. Then you plug in the original EIS, and then the cluster forcibly updates the EIS's 100k to 400k, and then you get a nasty surprise when the dashes disappear.

·
5,146 Posts
So if Drive Auth isn't the issue, and his new Cluster has a lower mileage than the car then just plug and play because mileage will update to EIS (Cars) mileage ????????????????

·
157 Posts
Correct, if and IF the drive authorization isn't an issue. But it is, because W203 has drive authorization in the cluster. R171 uses W203 electronics.

I should know, I'm dealing with one right now. EIS kaput, completely dead, cannot recover data. So program used EIS to the car, but then it means I have to wipe and program every single drive authorization systems in the car, which includes cluster.

And yes, the donor EIS had 400k. I had to zero that before plugging it in, so it could get the mileage from the cluster.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts