Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Instrument Cluster Show & Tell

8K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  spi89 
#1 · (Edited)
Morning all..

Craige and I have been having discussions about instrument clusters, and changing from pre-facelift, over to the newer facelifted ones ...

It's got to the point where we're trying to work out which models have which cluster fitted - are there differences between the facelifted clusters in the 200's and 350's for example...? (we're not going into the whole how to change and whats involved here, just which is which)

So - if you have some spare time, can you snap a pic of your cluster and post here, along with the model and year of your car - you'll know if you have a facelift R171 (or you should do by now!!) if you have the arrow style mirror indicators, black buttons in the Overhead control panel, later steering wheel etc etc

So - to start off - here is a PRE facelift AMG cluster from a 2005 55

And here's a FACELIFTED one - note the change in font, RPM's go to 8k, more numbers on the speed side, black rings around the clock and fuel gauge and the non linear scale on the speed side to name a few changes

Thanks in advance ....

See less See more
Reactions: curro101
#2 ·
Sean, it would appear that not all AMG clusters are the same. Here's a snap of my pre-facelift 2005 AMG 55 (Sept 2005) cluster and, although it's similar to your pre-facelift cluster, the needles are different:

Reactions: Col
#4 ·
See my sig, Sean. It's a UK spec 350 FL.

#9 ·
Mine exactly the same as Dave's pre-facelift, original needles. I noticed the needle change on yours too Sean and came the conclusion that you must have been tinkering!

I think I'd miss my V8 decal if I switched to the facelift. Are there many useful functional differences between the 2 clusters?

#10 ·
TPMS functionality was the biggie for me, plus the laptimer, gear indicator, display going red when you approach the redline, and oil temperature are also nice to have ...

Reactions: Col
#24 ·
Ehh no, and to be honest I really don't know what was the upper rev of the one in my 280.
I didn't mean to say it was from 280 or 350 just that it is from an "Edition 10" model. Could very well be and probably is from a 200K "Edition 10"

BTW Craig, great job on the cluster!!! :tu::tu:

#30 ·
Hello to all! Seanhump, i have put the 55 Amg cluster on, but it is from the prefacelifted (1st generation, with the V8 logo) and i cant find the amg menu (lap timer,oil temp etc). Is it possible to activate these functions with coding or my cluster doesnt support it as a unit? I didnt know it when i bought it. If i knew, i would searching for the second gen (prefacelift) or the facelifted one.
Thanks in advance!

#31 ·
Morning

The cluster you have doesn't have those features ...

The facelift one does, and from comments on here, so does (at least one persons) pre facelift WITHOUT the V8 logo ....

You'll need a different cluster - it's not just a DAS coding job I'm afraid

#34 ·
I did ..

I picked up a facelifted cluster (non AMG) from a 300 for testing, for not much money.

I swapped the needles over from that one ... it's sat in the garage at the mo, gathering dust!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.