Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've been thinking of doing the advanced driving course here in Scotland since it can surely improve my driving awareness, skills and hopefully make me an all round better driver. Plus the fact that I'm now driving a sports car and I want to get the best out of it.

I remember thinking at the time I had improved my car driving skills after passing my bike test, through enhanced awareness of other road users and a better "feel" for the road. So this is the next step I think.

I'm looking for any opinions you may have on doing the Advanced course here in the UK or the equivalent course where you are. I'm sure many of you are members already of these kinds of groups/clubs, so do you think its a good experience or full of "know it alls" who all drive volvos.

Any response appreciated. Cheers!

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
. . . . or full of "know it alls" who all drive volvos.

Any response appreciated. Cheers!
Hi Jim, I tend to agree with that, as a fellow biker, it's amazing that most (I'll get shot for this)cage drivers are soooo totally unaware of their environment - what they're driving on, and whats going on around them. You'll know how slippy roads are when damp/wet - most car drivers won't till they lose it, - you will usually be looking about five cars ahead, and about three cars back, whilst the drivers are more interested in their mobiles. Riding a bike is all about spacial awareness - you don't get a second chance - I think, the IAM tuition should be done on a bike, then the test done in a car.:soap::soap: (my rant has stopped now!!).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Jim, Improving driving skills is always a worthwhile excercise. As an ex biker I totally agre with Wooly's comments. A number of years ago I did a police driving course. This was run by Strathclyde Police and was heavily based on the 'Roadcraft' Police Driving Handbook. It consisted of four half days in the classroom, followed by a demonstration drive by an advanced police trafic driver, complete with 'blues and twos'. The final half day was taken up with the police instructor assessing and marking your driving skills while driving your own car. I'm sure if you ask around you will find this 'driving awareness course' is still available. It was free, aimed at civilians, and I woud regard it as an excellent stepping stone to the AdvancedDriving Test. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
load of pants mate. i did an advanced driving lesson and felt it hindered me slightly. i have been told it musta been the instructor as we argued alot and he didn't really like me, he was far to cocky for my liking lol.
it is worthwhile in that it helps drop your insurance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments, I will try to find out about the driving awareness course before I lay out any money to the IAM.
Watch this space!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
load of pants mate. i did an advanced driving lesson and felt it hindered me slightly. i have been told it musta been the instructor as we argued alot and he didn't really like me, he was far to cocky for my liking lol.
it is worthwhile in that it helps drop your insurance.
It seems like you must have had a particular bad instructor and I wouldn’t let that one experience cloud your judgement of the IAM. It is well worth persevering with more lessons as you will really benefit with better observation and planning. Best of all you will learn how to drive quickly but, very importantly, safely. Remember the course is based on the training that Police Class 1 drivers receive.

As to your comment about it hindering you slightly, this is only natural after one lesson. You are after all being taught a different style of driving than you are used to so it’s bound to be a little tricky at first. After 2 or 3 lessons you will find the new style starts to become second nature and you then really start to benefit.

It certainly isn’t ‘a load of pants’. The IAM Advanced Driving course has improved the skills of thousands of drivers which in turn helps to keep our roads safer. Additionally it makes the people who has taken the test enjoy driving more as they really take a pride in driving with increased skill and safety.

The work of the IAM is also endorsed by many of the UK’s top drivers. For example, Nigel Mansell is the current president.

Please do give it another go.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi
I did the Institute of Advanced Motorists Skill for Life Advance Driving Course a couple of years ago. Personally I found it most rewarding and without doubt has helped to improve my driving skill. It cost £139 and that included a 12 month membership to the RAC (worth about £70) so it's an absolute bargain. I have insured all 3 of my cars through their Surety motor insurance that always undercut any quotes I get on compare the meerkat or money supermarket comparison sights. It's a win win win, what's not to like. I'd recommend to anyone considering doing it...
Paul

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Jim, Improving driving skills is always a worthwhile excercise. As an ex biker I totally agre with Wooly's comments. A number of years ago I did a police driving course. This was run by Strathclyde Police and was heavily based on the 'Roadcraft' Police Driving Handbook. It consisted of four half days in the classroom, followed by a demonstration drive by an advanced police trafic driver, complete with 'blues and twos'. The final half day was taken up with the police instructor assessing and marking your driving skills while driving your own car. I'm sure if you ask around you will find this 'driving awareness course' is still available. It was free, aimed at civilians, and I woud regard it as an excellent stepping stone to the AdvancedDriving Test. Cheers.
I too did a similar course with L&B police many years ago. It was 6 x 2hr nights then a 2hr driving assessment with the police driving instructor at Tullyallan H.Q
you were told to give a running commentary of you driving;road conditions,what you could see,other road users,.including pedestrians during your drive.
I found that it really made you think of your driving and still try to do it today.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for your input coolrunnings, very beneficial!

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Had to take and pass the IAM test/assessment every two-years as part of my last job. So have ten pass certificates.

The biggest benefit is that it makes you think about and assess your own driving as well as the wider driving environment. Lots of people pass their driving test and never thereafter analyse their own driving.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I have no axe to grind

but I always preferred the slant that RoSPA put on this topic. Whatever system you choose, the first step probably is to buy the book and read it. If that doesn't change your thinking, you must be either a fantastically safe driver, or a suitable case for treatment. Most of us statistically speaking, will be the latter.>:D

·
Registered
606 Posts
With a lot of us on here owning powerful rear wheel drive cars it's got to be a positive move to do this course rather than negative.
I think the problem with a lot of drivers is they think they drive well :surprise: when in fact they don't :wink:
We all see them every day >:D

·
Registered
250 Posts
With a lot of us on here owning powerful rear wheel drive cars it's got to be a positive move to do this course rather than negative.
I think the problem with a lot of drivers is they think they drive well :surprise: when in fact they don't :wink:
We all see them every day >:D
I agree with you there Warwick! Everyone should try and do something to better their driving skills.. I was fortunate enough to be invited to attend a Mercedes Benz Dynamic Driver, driving course here in SA. that was in 2003 and at the time, I owned a Volvo...... (say no more)...
It was a great experience, we drove MB C class AMG320's first out on the skid pan, wet & dry, doing emergency turns, emergency breaking and avoidance, then we did track runs, experiencing breaking, cornering, and very fast driving.. All of this was done first with all electric aids (ESP,ABS etc..) switched on...then switched off, and it was all you, and the car!! great stuff!! got the T-shirt, certificate and a cd with my best lap and skid pan video.....>:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts