·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car 2007 SLK55 AMG

RIMS STOCK 18' AMG

TIRES INSTALLED REAR 255-35-ZR18
HANKOOK ventus v12 evo2

we did an alignment and installed the tires only rear the front is still on the michelin..

the problem is that the car now feels like the rear end is floating almost like i have no traction on the rear, on the freeway if a slight turn comes up it feels like the rear wants to come around.. if you make a right or left turn like a freeway on ramp and lets say 10 mph over the speed limit the traction light starts to blink..
the rear end feels really loose .. can anyone give me pointers on what the issue might be? i will be taking the car back to the alignment shop to make sure they did not set the toe incorrect ..

thanks for the help in advance !

·
DAS/STAR Registered Owner
4,018 Posts
Rear tire pressure too high ..?

·
Registered 2004 SLK 200K
10,745 Posts
As Sean said , check the pressures and also that the tyres are mounted in the right direction ( wierder things have happened ) !

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar experience with my 2010 slk 55 3.5 mm left on rears. However I felt I was driving a car with no tread on the rear, garage checked out suspension etc nothing un towards. I ended up putting two new tyres back on rear this resolved the issue.
Then traded the car in for the 172 slk 55.
Probably doesn't help your issue but very similar posting.
Thanks
Brave heart

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,339 Posts
What size tires on the front. If there is a difference in circumstance greater than 3% will cause traction control light to come on.

·
Registered 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,915 Posts
Those tires are fine. I'm on my fifth set of those on my SLK. Agree with the points already raised: over-inflation, mounted the wrong way (note the directional arrow on the sidewall) are most likely causes. Although overinflation causing that much traction loss seems odd.

The 3% rotational speed difference causing traction control warning is a possibility if you have a tire with a very stiff sidewall on the front (since the Hankooks are known to have comparitively soft sidewall). But that would not explain the floating sensation you're getting and the absolutely lack of traction in the rear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TIRE PRESSURE 42 DRIVERS SIDE ( temps taken car parked outside but not driven)
TIRE PRESSURE 41 PASS SIDE

Tires are mounted correct

- so cal its about 100 outside right now

Front tires are Michelin pilot super sport

225-40-zr18

i still have not taken the car back to the shop to check rear alignment incase he did a bad job..

thanks for all the support guys !

·
2,339 Posts
Your rear and front tires are around 0.3% difference so you are ok. Yes *I would have the alignment checked. When I got my car I noticed the rear was funny when hitting a bad spot in pavement. Worn new tires out in 4k miles. Got new tires and the alignment turn out on the rear to be way off. New alignment and the rear settled down.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had Michelin Pilot Super Sport (summer tire) put on all four corners of my 05 slk350. Car handled great (when it was warm outside).

Like everybody else, the rears wore out before the fronts. Because I didn't like how quickly the Michelin rears wore out, I replaced the rears with Continental Extreme Contact DWS (all season tire).

When I did that, the result in the way the car handled was exactly the way you described your car in post #1 . It felt so unstable and unsafe, I put matching Continentals on the front. Getting matching tires on front and back solved my problems. The handling returned to normal.

My case may be different than yours because I mixed summer and all season tires, and I think your Hankooks are summer tires like your Michelins.

I believe the key is to have tires that have equal performance abilities on both ends of your car. To my mind, the only way to insure that is to have same brand and style on all four corners.
I am certainly no tire expert....just my opinion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does it make a difference if its a run flat? it almost seems like the side wall is too soft and its flexing.. while the front tire feels to have more of a strong sidewall like a road race tire..?

·
2,339 Posts
does it make a difference if its a run flat? it almost seems like the side wall is too soft and its flexing.. while the front tire feels to have more of a strong sidewall like a road race tire..?
Soft sidewalls can give you some side to side movement.

·
Registered Looking for an SLK
597 Posts
Ive just done the same on my 280 tho im on 17'' rims put new Hankooks on the rear and left Michelins on front totally transformed my car handles beautifully and is smoother and quieter on the road. Im surprised you have problems as the Hankooks are very good tyres.

Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
problem solved.. they were too new ! i guess the traction light coming on threw me off.. my s2000 has no traction control so I'm not usto it..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts