Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there, in order to get less frame torsions I'm considering installing two lower braces on my 06 r171 200 kompressor, like the ones in this pic.
Car's current setup include b12 eibach prokit shoks and springs, front camber bolts (set at 1,5 degrees) and 17 inches rims with 225/245 bridgestone s001 tyres
Do you have any experience or opinion on this mod? tks

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You will be much better off with a cross brace between the tops of the front struts, and take it from there.

I doubt the under frame is going to give you that much trouble on a touring 200, but definitely you will feel the difference with a strut brace.

·
Fanatical Owner
272 Posts
I already have the strut brace and i felt a huge improvement after installing it.
But I am also considering buying this one you posted.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi oszy, what kind of improvment you got from the strutbar? less understeer? is the steering wheel became stiffer to operate?

·
Fanatical Owner
272 Posts
Less understeer and generally better handling in the corners.

But I also had lowering springs on the car before the strut.

I now have H&R Coilovers as well and the car hugs the corners extremely well with slicks :D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
A strut bar is not designed to deal with steering per se. It is designed to hold the tops of Macpherson struts at a set distance so thet they do not flex through corners, and thus reduce chassis flex.
At best the wheels in cornering will not 'tramp' - but doubtful if you will ever get to this stage with a 200!
The bar will certainly not change the operation of the steering wheel. The only thing that might affect this will be the lowering and camber you intend to play with...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts