Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I decided to start a new thread for my radio install since I have completely changed the way I am going to install a system to replace the factory Harman Kardon system.
Here is the plan:
1. Pioneer 2330NEX headunit
2. Pioneer GM-D8604 Class D 4-Channel Amplifier (in the footwell where the HK was)
3. Stock HK speakers with added crossover caps where/if needed. I will also use the high pass filters in the amp or head unit to cut the low frequencies since I am adding a sub. Will not use the rear speakers in the middle or the front center speaker
4. Alpine PWE-S8 Compact powered Sub- Between the seats where the upper rear console was
5. Front and Rear cameras

Alpine Compact Sub
I decided to mount the sub where the rear upper console was. I don't mind losing the little center speakers and the sub fits perfectly there and looks somewhat stock.
I made a mount for the sub that uses the factory console holes.
I bought 2 M6 flat head stainless bolts to attach the bracket.
I beveled the holes for the mounting bolts so they would be perfectly flat when mounted. I then tapped a few 10/32 holes that the amp can screw its bracket into.
Finally, I covered the bracket with some left over carbon fiber vinyl so it blends in nicely.
The wires and connections for the sub are on the bottom end so they fit perfectly into the open cavity left where the upper console met the lower console.

Not sure why some of my pics are upside down, they are not that way on my computer....and seem normal when you click on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I also installed my rear view camera, but I cannot make it work. I just get a black screen. I hooked the purple and white stripe reverse wire from my headunit to the grey and yellow wire I found back by the rear SAM. Hoping this is the reverse light wire everyone talks about. Then I used an add a fuse to tap power. I just plugged it in to an open spot on the SAM, is that correct? Then I ground the camera to a bolt in the floor of the car. Its just a black screen. I shift into reverse and it doesn't really act like I think it should. It gives me a message that I have to be in park to view video. I have the parking brake wire attached to a ground with a switch on it because I didn't want to go hunting down the right wire. This worked fine in my last car, but I didn't have a camera in that one. When I change the switch it acts like I am viewing video, but the screen is just black. Any idea of what I am doing wrong?? Here are some pictures of the connections
@Seanhump
@Sneaky Pete

Attachments

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,786 Posts
I rotated 3 for you
any others?

·
Super Moderator - DAS/STAR Registered Owner
4,015 Posts
Assume you have connected power to the camera as well, (you can use the Grey / Yellow wire) - might sound like a daft Q, but stranger things have happened, and you only mention the camera ground connection ...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Assume you have connected power to the camera as well, (you can use the Grey / Yellow wire) - might sound like a daft Q, but stranger things have happened, and you only mention the camera ground connection ...
Maybe what I wrote was confusing. I have the add a fuse in the SAM (in a random slot) for 12v power, ground to the frame bolt and then the receiver wire hooked to the grey/yellow wire. I used the embedded red wire in the rca cable to hook up to the grey yellow wire as I assume that is a continuous run the length of the rca cable. The other red and black wires that came with the camera are shorter and just hooked up at the SAM as I mentioned above.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hallelujah! I figured it out. Took a lot of tinkering, but now it works properly. Turns on the rear camera as soon as I put it in reverse just like it is supposed to. I ended up having to run a fresh line from the reverse wire to the front of the car. I was trying to use the embedded wire in the RCA cable but apparently, that doesn't work. HEre is how it is all hooked up now. I clipped the little blue wire on my camera cord that takes the cameras back up lines off the screen. The HU has its own set of lines that are fully adjustable which is nice. I did have to adjust them a lot.

Head Unit:
-RCA into camera input (brown plug)
-Reverse light wire run from back SAM to HU and attached to the violet with white stripe on my head unit.
-Red wire embedded in the RCA cable spliced into the reverse light wire

Rear SAM:
Power line from camera that plugs into the camera cord run to the SAM with add a fuse. I put it in slot 15
Ground tapped into a big brown ground that I found on the SAM
Reverse light wire Yellow and Grey run from the rear SAM to the HU. This is a lot easier than taking out the actual tail light. The post that helped me get to the SAM is here: http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-general-discussion/38233-fuse-box-trunk.html

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are a few more pics from the install. The Pioneer amp fits perfectly in the factory location. I just bent down a couple of tabs that were sticking up, tapped a couple of bolt holes in the front to hold the amp down, put some felt under the upper portion of the amp mount to prevent the amp from rattling and stuck it all back in there. I still need to get it all gain matched and tuned but so far it sounds pretty good!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Really like your sub placement - looks great and I'm sure sounds excellent too. Not sure I could stand losing the home for my hat and shades case though...:tu:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really like your sub placement - looks great and I'm sure sounds excellent too. Not sure I could stand losing the home for my hat and shades case though...:tu:
Ha! That is about all that upper compartment was ever good for! Mine has always been empty.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found a cool little AMG plaque to cover up the Alpine logo on the sub. I think it looks good and helps the sub look more stock.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
OP, great install, could you perhaps comment on the performance? Is it non directional, in that you don't notice its location?
Im under the impression even at a very modest output its effective and justifies the cost.
I installed a similar unit years ago in my son's Subaru under his seat. Very small unit but it made a big difference. Not ground shaking, but more of a tight transducer mid range kick. The effect was very pleasant.
Shoulder height near the ears is not optimal so I was wondering what your experience has been. Not many options for placement in the small cabin!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree, looks like a very nice install. I would like to see the look of the head unit in the center stack and would also like to hear your impressions/review of performance top up and top down. Your pictures look great and nice attention to detail

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are a few more pictures of the radio etc. Having Bluetooth, CarPlay and a back up camera really is an excellent upgrade over the factory system. I am quite impressed with this little Sub. There are other compact subs but this one fits the space nicely and I think matches the interior well. With the cab up it is plenty of nice deep sounding bass that you can even feel a little bit. With the cab down it still sounds pretty solid. Nice tight bass. Subs are naturally non-directional so even at ear height it seems to fill the cab nicely. Audio is one of my hobby areas so I would say this system, now that I added the Hertz speakers and sub really sounds quite good top up or down. The factory HK system actually sounded pretty decent, but the vocals and now the bass are a pretty major difference after this install. I have always been a bass head over the years so I would still like to have a pair of 10" subs behind the seats, but it just isn't going to happen in this car. Really that is only because I like the feel of the impact of the subs on my seat. Soundwise, this fills the bottom admirably and since the Pioneer amp fit perfectly in the factory footwell location this whole install is stealth with the exception of the radio and sub which blend in quite nicely.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts