Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left inside map light when out...Right one still works... Looks like the whole things will too come down just to replace the bulb..Is there a easy way?
Is it a DYI or do I have to take it to the dealership?

jnc1948 NC

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,379 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am afraid I will break something.... being a 2004 unit and the plastic may break easy... I an getting 2 bulbs tomorrow from the dealership and may give it a try wish me luck...

jnc1948 NC

·
96,379 Posts
use small jeweler's flathead screwdriver like it says to pry

·
Registered
47 Posts
the plastic cover detaches - ease it out from the rear with a flat bladed screwdriver.
then using a phillips head screwdriver remove the two screws holding the unit to the body. the bulbs twist and remove.
In my case, the bulbs were fine, the alloy bulb holder had become loose breaking the circuit. I simply bent it back a bit to make a good contact. I used vaseline on the contacts and re-assembled.
oh i hoovered the spider out of the cavity too!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cover includes the mic for the Tele Aid, and I imagine quite different from the simple rectangular one.

So are the steps different? Please advise again jbanks15 Thanks MSGT

jnc1948 NC

·
96,379 Posts
well it's been 10 years since I had a r170 but i don't recall the mic being in the area that you pry off to replace the bulbs. current r170 owners will chime in :D

·
96,379 Posts
Yes, it just pries off the white matte plastic lid exposing the inside of the lamp assembly.

You will find a plastic 'bulb cover' on each one of these lamps that you can use a small flat screwdriver to unlatch it from the side. (it interlocks with the grey plastic base).

Now... this is a bit delicate depending on how old /used these were, as the gray plastic might have become brittle.

The bulb is just a pull out motion, not a 'twist on'... twisting it will cause the bulb holder to come loose from the base.

Suggestion on my side... when you do this... change both of them because when I did it I realized they had different tone and intensity which bugged me a lot and had to do this twice.

·
96,379 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I do have a 2001 slk320 which is different from the 230. If it is anything like mine. You have a center button that operates both sides of the light. You need a small screw driver and pry from the edges (where you see the slots). Plastic should pop out. Bulbs are covered by a difusure to spread out the light pattern. Clip out the difuser and you will have access to the bulbs. I switched my lights out for 194 LED's. No need for canbus LED bulb. You won't get a light out indicator.You can pick these up at Autozone or Pep Boys (or anywhere). Reverse process to put everything back.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update...while trying to remove the plastic from the map light area must have jar the bulb or something it came back on..

SO I did not have to replace the lamp bulb. The question is I wonder when it will go out or happen again. So now I have two new bulb

I guess maybe it came lose when ridding over rock and maybe hit a pot hole or some thing... But it working now again.

Thanks for all the tip and instruction on how to replace the bulbs..

jnc19481948

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.