Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Some time soon I'm going to get the wheels off and clean the inner wings and get all the crap off as I've only had the car a couple of weeks. Has anyone done this and whats the best thing to use to give them some protection from road dirt etc!!

Thanks in advance

Regards Rob

·
Registered
62 Posts
Unfortunately they use less clear coat on the inner wheels. I went ahead and repainted mine and clear coated them with https://www.amazon.com/SprayMax-Glamour-Gloss-Aerosol-Clear/dp/B0082LJMC6

You could skip the paint and just add more clear to cover the pitting etc I left an inner strip to eventually add the MB logo and leaves in the same blue. Just used the cut line they did

I think white would be nice on some cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Oops sorry was tired and read 'wheels' instead of Brit term 'wings' slash fenders. They are a base coat only and not much at that. You could add some sort of under seal or paint. The most importent thing is to make sure the drains are not clogged as it will cause rust like mine... You can see the undercoat color in the fender well pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
846 Posts
Personally I like Waxoyl to protect the bits you cannot reach. Remove all the plastic liners etc and clean off all dirt. Any large surface rust area's will need treating and painting. If you are making a big job of it then front and rear bumpers would need to come off. The original plastic/pvc type spray that MB did is quite good but if it gets damaged the water and dirt gets behind and the metal underneath has very little protection resulting in rust where it looks ok on the surface. This will also need attention if you find any. After all the prep work is done spray on the waxoyl in 2 or 3 thin coats leaving to dry inbetween and will be good for years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts