Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, simple question .... what is it made from? It does look to be plastic? I need to know because I have to drill and tap it to accept injectors for liquid propane. Training videos for Lsi conversion always seem to show that the inlet manifold is usually metal? So I'm slightly concerned that the injectors won't be quite so robustly mounted in a plastic manifold? Oh, for some reason there seems to be plenty of them on "Ebay", from as little as £20, sent! That way I can do the work first without having to have my car off the road .....

David

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,194 Posts
Interesting question. Don't know the answer for your unit (and this won't help you) but found this on wiki:
The intake manifold has historically been manufactured from aluminum or cast iron, but use of composite plastic materials is gaining popularity (e.g. most Chrysler 4-cylinders, Ford Zetec 2.0, Duratec 2.0 and 2.3, and GM's Ecotec series).

Reactions: jbanks15

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes, simple question .... what is it made from? It does look to be plastic? I need to know because I have to drill and tap it to accept injectors for liquid propane. Training videos for Lsi conversion always seem to show that the inlet manifold is usually metal? So I'm slightly concerned that the injectors won't be quite so robustly mounted in a plastic manifold? Oh, for some reason there seems to be plenty of them on "Ebay", from as little as £20, sent! That way I can do the work first without having to have my car off the road .....

David
If you mean the intake manifold, then plastic. If you mean the elbow before the throttle body, then the pre-FL is metal, and the post-FL if plastic. And no luck on the quarter windows yet. Got too busy yesterday lol

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,685 Posts
Just thinking, as it is UK market it might be worth asking @Zenman 63 as sometimes there are local market differences.

That'll get his attention.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.