Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
2,472 Posts
You have to remove the manifold again to see what the situation is with them. I suspect they probably broke off and were sucked into the engine. BTW, they aren't going to get involved with the valve train unless you have some unknown passages in your engine.
Nothing currently suggest there has been any breakage and sucked into the eninge of the plastic flaps. If any do break, it will be consumed by the engine which has the potential, but no assurance, that damage will be done. Since the flaps are not something easily burnt by cylinder firing, having the fragment anywhere in the engine is not a good situation. It can get wedged in a number of palces like a valve, which will do more damage to the engine. More likely, at this point, carbon has bound up one or more of the plastic flaps and it is that which is keeping movement of the flap system.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Flaps just fine.

Guys.

Sorry for my lack of clarity but while the manifold was off I did inspect that flaps and found them intact and easily movable.

What I did notice was the middle actuator seems a bit "crunchy" when I twisted the part that made the flaps open and close. Sorry for the odd word but that's the best I could come up with.

I've come to the conclusion its one of 3 things. 1.) The middle actuator is shot. 2.) One of the many switches/sensors that runs this system is shot 3.) The manifold is just toast.

Thanks for all the feedback on this.
You guys rock!

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just gave in...

Well... I just gave in and ordered a new intake. Got a great deal on EBay with the fathers day coupon. Brand new Pierburg OEM with gaskets for $325.

Hopefully this will be the end of my issues.
Thanks all for your input.

·
Banned
330 Posts
Well... I just gave in and ordered a new intake. Got a great deal on EBay with the fathers day coupon. Brand new Pierburg OEM with gaskets for $325.

Hopefully this will be the end of my issues.
Thanks all for your input.
That sounds like the best solution. Does it come with all the junk on the front? You know the actuator arms and the, looks like, vacuum assemblies. I swear to God I often don't know what to call the stuff Mercedes dreams up!

You might notice that Mercedes gets rid of its better ideas in succeeding generations. Like the balance shaft was toast with the 60 degree V6. I suspect the tumbler flaps and air injection disappeared too!>:D

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Conclusion....

Hello all.

Well the conclusion to the story was that I ordered and installed a new intake and bingo... all is good with my SLK!!!

Not sure what the problem was.. electrical, vacuum who knows. All I know is the flaps are functioning and my error codes have cleared.

I will also say that taking this manifold in and out goes A LOT faster the 2nd time. 2 hours to remove and 1'15" to replace. I feel like a pro now.

The project was a bit daunting when I first jumped in (not being a mechanic myself) but at the end of the process it actually wasn't that bad. I feel i know my SLK intimately now. :wink:

Anyway off to the next project.
Thanks all for your comments and views.
Cheers!

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
2,472 Posts
Hello all.

Well the conclusion to the story was that I ordered and installed a new intake and bingo... all is good with my SLK!!!

Not sure what the problem was.. electrical, vacuum who knows. All I know is the flaps are functioning and my error codes have cleared.

I will also say that taking this manifold in and out goes A LOT faster the 2nd time. 2 hours to remove and 1'15" to replace. I feel like a pro now.

The project was a bit daunting when I first jumped in (not being a mechanic myself) but at the end of the process it actually wasn't that bad. I feel i know my SLK intimately now. :wink:

Anyway off to the next project.
Thanks all for your comments and views.
Cheers!
Glad you got it sorted out and saved a few nickles doing the job yourselve.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,719 Posts
Glad you got it sorted. BTW you only need a balance shaft (and offset crank - both in my 88 Buick) in a 90 degree V6. An inline or 60 degree is naturally balanced.

Also once you have DOHC with VVT i&e, you do not need variable length runners. (only reason for a 90 degree V6 in the first place is to be able to use the same assembly line as a V8).

MB steals from anyone.

·
Administrator/Founding Member since 2006
101,274 Posts
where did you end up buying the intake manifold from? they are all around 600 USD now from what I can see.
are you talking to packerbacker, the op?

he has not been on since
Last Activity: 06-25-2018

hopefully he has notify on @packerbacker

·
Registered
31 Posts
where did you end up buying the intake manifold from? they are all around 600 USD now from what I can see.
are you talking to packerbacker, the op?

he has not been on since
Last Activity: 06-25-2018

hopefully he has notify on @packerbacker
Yes. I hope he would get notified and respond. However, I guess price from a year ago can be much different compared to now.

·
* Registered 2006 SLK280
2 Posts
I was dreading a big job. I got error code P2005 - faulty sensor tumble flap "intake manifold" anyway I popped down to my local autospares store and found WYNNS EGR CLEANER was easy to apply, you need someone to keep the revs up and just been on a 2 hours drive and engine managment light has not come back on.

Fingers crossed issue has been sorted and was just gunge build up and not a broken arm as above. Only $15 for a tin (10GBP)

My first post here. Great Forum, just purchased a 2006 SLK 280

21 - 31 of 31 Posts