Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I discovered recently that my '06 SLK350 has the infamous tumble flap issue where the poorly designed plastic piece breaks causing the tumble flaps to be inoperative.

After much research and a build up of confidence I purchased the replacement parts, removed the intake, replaced the part and reinstalled the manifold.

Fingers crossed I started the car. Runs as it did before BUT also noticed that while revving the motor the tumble flap mechanism is not working. I see no movement from the arms at all. I opened the hood on my wife's C300 with the same mechanism, started it and revved the motor and I can clearly see the arms moving.

All that said I am now stumped. Thinking if I replace the broken plastic piece all would be good. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Anyone out that have any other idea why the flaps still wont function? I assume this is vacuum controlled so i checked all the hoses and they appear to be in good order.

I'm stumped.

Any help or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sneaky Pete. Could be the Tumble Flap Position Sensor(s). Odd though that I cant find the part numbers for those sensors? B28/9 and B28/10 on the PDF you sent. Any idea where I can find those part numbers or where I can order the parts?
Thanks again!

I don't think they are vacuum controlled.
As I understand it from the attached pdf the position of the flaps is controlled by the ECU and the postion of the flaps is reported to the ECU by 2 position sensors.
Maybe something wrong with 1 or 2 of these sensors?

·
Administrator/Founding Member since 2006
101,274 Posts

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
2,619 Posts
Thanks Sneaky Pete. Could be the Tumble Flap Position Sensor(s). Odd though that I cant find the part numbers for those sensors? B28/9 and B28/10 on the PDF you sent. Any idea where I can find those part numbers or where I can order the parts?
Thanks again!

As this is no more than a wild guess from my side, before ordering any parts, it might be wise to have the car scanned first with DAS. Should give you an idea in what direction you would need to be searching. Personally I would do that first before throwing money around. Like said, I'm just guessing here.
And maybe an idea to first check the connection to Y22/9 on page 38. That's the valve that gets actuated by the ECU to operate the swirl flaps afaik. Buying parts in the blind would be my last resort to be honest. Just my 2 cents.

·
101,274 Posts
item 90 in this pic

called pressure sensor

cannot find
any term like

swirl flaps or hall sensors

Attachments

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yikes. That connection is at the bottom of the intake. I'd have to pull the intake to get at it.

To your original point, my own Odb II reader reports "Pending fault P2015-intake manf runner position sensor/switch circuit range/performance bank 1". Not sure if that would be same as DAS would show. All I find on this error points to the flaps.

I'm getting to the point where I may just get an entire new manifold. All new sensors, actuators etc. May be the cheaper and all encompassing solution. Spendy though.

As this is no more than a wild guess from my side, before ordering any parts, it might be wise to have the car scanned first with DAS. Should give you an idea in what direction you would need to be searching. Personally I would do that first before throwing money around. Like said, I'm just guessing here.
And maybe an idea to first check the connection to Y22/9 on page 38. That's the valve that gets actuated by the ECU to operate the swirl flaps afaik. Buying parts in the blind would be my last resort to be honest. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
2,619 Posts
Isn't the existence of these aftermarket repairkits not due to the fact that the dealer just replaces the whole manifold if this problem occurs? In other words, these parts can not be obtained separately? I seem to vaguely remember something like that.
Anyway, again, I would strongly suggest to first rule out the obvious like an accidently disconnected wire etc, and a scan by DAS before replacing parts.

·
* Premium Member 2004 SLK350
5,138 Posts
item 90 in this pic

called pressure sensor

cannot find
any term like

swirl flaps or hall sensors

Nr 90 is the MAP sensor and is not in the manifold
The manifold has 2 senor in front and back those tell the ecu the position of the inside flaps.

Oem nr for intake sensor
A2721530232

Attachments

·
101,274 Posts
:D

can you locate the flap sensor then in epc? I cannot locate it

let me try with your part number

·
101,274 Posts
It is called
'switch'
in epc with your part number

go figure

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
2,472 Posts
I agree as suggested by @i860 on checking the operation of the flaps while you are able to observe. One of the reasons the plastic crank breaks is due to binding of the flaps and the connected shaft.

·
* Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,359 Posts
The tumble flaps (and long runner) are vacuum actuated, and the actuators are electrically operated by the ecu. You can observe and test them with STAR. I did have a failed actuator on mine at one time. From watching these while driving, the tumble flaps don't start tumbling until you're really pushing it. I didn't try when standing still though. If you don't have a code I would assume they are working!

·
Banned
330 Posts
I was visiting my mechanic the other day, and we got on the subject of the tumbler flaps. He said the real problem was when they break, they get sucked into the combustion chamber and cause damage there. Also the actuating arm breaks due to the flaps getting stuck. He also said they just replace the manifold, since the flaps aren't replaceable. He might have meant there isn't a part number available for them? He also added he has only seen it on engines with lots of miles.

The OP noticed his engine runs OK, so the flaps aren't really necessary for the operation of the engine. Rather than buy a new manifold, I'd consider disabling the system. That would require removing them from the manifold. How difficult that might be I don't know.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Flaps not necessary

I had that very question as the car runs just fine (as far as I can tell) without the flaps functioning. I bought the car 2 years ago and they may not have been functioning the whole time I have owned it. I have no idea.

Bottom line is what are the consequences of NOT repairing the issue?

I'm leaning towards just getting a new intake and being done with it.

Opinions?

·
Banned
330 Posts

·
Banned
330 Posts
I had that very question as the car runs just fine (as far as I can tell) without the flaps functioning. I bought the car 2 years ago and they may not have been functioning the whole time I have owned it. I have no idea.

Bottom line is what are the consequences of NOT repairing the issue?

I'm leaning towards just getting a new intake and being done with it.

Opinions?
You already have your answer! It's too bad you didn't observe their operation when you had the manifold off. Assuming they did break off and were sucked into the engine, the damage if any occurred has already happened.

You might consider how your engine is currently running. Do you have any loss of power? What about the MPG? Mercedes has come up with all sorts of ideas that just haven't proved out to be worthwhile the tumbler flaps being one of them.

You have to remove the manifold again to see what the situation is with them. I suspect they probably broke off and were sucked into the engine. BTW, they aren't going to get involved with the valve train unless you have some unknown passages in your engine.

Other reason to remove the manifold is they might still be there but stuck in some position like partially open? If you want to restore the manifold to its original condition, a new manifold is the best way to go. My wrench tells me it's $600 including labor. BTW, you don't want one from a wreck unless it's low mileage.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts