Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've recently been getting the stuck in random gears problem which is temporarily cured by restarting the car. OBD reader showed code P0717 input turbine speed sensor. I contacted my local Indie who said they could fit and code the new cp but I had to buy direct from Mercedes. Luckily they had one in stock, but the Parts Manager said that it may not be able to communicate with the old valve body. I asked if there is anyway of knowing if it will or won't before trying and he said no.

Seems strange that they can't tell this from the VIN code. What determines if it works or not? He mentioned something about VB1, VB2 etc

·
Founding Member 2006
108,971 Posts
Probably the main reason most MB parts will not sell but only install it in house.
Member had to pay MB $1600 to install it as his Indy was not permitted to purchase it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I've recently been getting the stuck in random gears problem which is temporarily cured by restarting the car. OBD reader showed code P0717 input turbine speed sensor. I contacted my local Indie who said they could fit and code the new cp but I had to buy direct from Mercedes. Luckily they had one in stock, but the Parts Manager said that it may not be able to communicate with the old valve body. I asked if there is anyway of knowing if it will or won't before trying and he said no.

Seems strange that they can't tell this from the VIN code. What determines if it works or not? He mentioned something about VB1, VB2 etc
Actually, it must have been VGS1 and VGS2. Apparently the cp will work with valve body VGS2 and above only. My 55 is late 2005. Any chance of VGS2?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,971 Posts
Actually, it must have been VGS1 and VGS2. Apparently the cp will work with valve body VGS2 and above only. My 55 is late 2005. Any chance of VGS2?
do you have your datacard? Mine has this entry on it

A39 N - VALVE BODY ASSEMBLY WITH VGS 2

yours might also

·
Founding Member 2006
108,971 Posts
Standby...

·
Founding Member 2006
108,971 Posts
Now you know!!! :D

A28 j - valve body assembly vgs 2 (550 nm)

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went down the replacement route in the end and got the plate from Mercedes directly, then got an Indie with DAS to fit and SCN code. The plate was £340 (£50 back when the old plate is returned) and fitting, New fluid, filter and coding was £290. Total £580. Gear change is slightly more lumpy than before, but I was told that it takes a few miles for the box to adjust to optimum settings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.