Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dear forum readers
i am located in canada and would like to import a japan spec 2005 slk 350 from the United arab emirates, i would like to know about the mods that must be done by mercedes to a japan spec car...i know the instrument panel has to be changed on american cars and daylight running lights installed, the instrument panel issue for american imports is that it doesnt have an iso light on it, does anyone know of the japanese spec has the iso light for emergency brakes and day light running lights.
all information regarding the import will be greatly appreciated

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Welcome yahyah86.

Daylight running lamps can be programmed or set to ON using the car menu, so this shouldn't be much of a problem unless Canadian regulation states that it is something that cannot be set to OFF by the owner.

I'll defer to the Canadian members in this forum to comment on what may be involved to meet Canada's regulation and MB Canada's restriction, etc. Japan spec vehicles, IIRC, are right hand drive, would this be OK in Canada?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,557 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale.
usercp, edit your details, location.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, If you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider donating for security updates, repairs and monthly expenses to the site. Any amount is welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
986 Posts
what do you mean by japan spec?

Japanese cars are right hand drive.

In the UK we can buy parallel imports from european dealers at reduced prices. Unless we stipulate UK spec we would get a Euro car but it would be right hand drive.

Is this jap car LHD?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dear readers
i have updated my profile and it now includes location, thanks for the quick reply's. Most German, Italian, other european and American cars in Japan are indeed left hand as its considered a status symbol of success in japan. the car in question a 2005 slk 350 is indeed a left hand. It would be great etyu if you can forward my queries to a canadian member. Also if thiers someone here who works at a mercedes benz dealership and willing to help, it would be the greatest. once again thanx everyone for your replies and still waiting for more...
regards

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i cant pm at the moment so I'm writing my message here.
Nevada Joe, thanx for the quick response, i greatly appreciate it. i have the vin number for the car and will email it to mercedes canada to see if it is admissible. in the mean time can you please give the contact information of the importer and preferebly an email address and i will contact him. also the instrument cluster that you got changed...what does the iso emergency brake light symbol look like? i wanna know to see if the car im looking at already has it as the speedometer is already in kms
thanks
regards
yahyah

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The vin number for the car is WDB1714561f038490 can anyone please let me know the details of this car so that i can compare with what needs to be done 2 it to make it admissible in canada and also know what is stock on this car.
thanx

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
dear forum readers
i am located in canada and would like to import a japan spec 2005 slk 350 from the United arab emirates, i would like to know about the mods that must be done by mercedes to a japan spec car...i know the instrument panel has to be changed on american cars and daylight running lights installed, the instrument panel issue for american imports is that it doesnt have an iso light on it, does anyone know of the japanese spec has the iso light for emergency brakes and day light running lights.
all information regarding the import will be greatly appreciated
I know it's really none of my business, but it's killing me. Why do you want to bring a Japanese spec car to Canada from the UAE? Seems like there's an easier way to get an SLK. It also seems like the transport costs would be significantly greater than any potential savings you might realize by not just buying a local car...

:confused:

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
After looking at the VIN, the car is a run of the mill 350. I assume you own the car and want to bring it into Canada. If your staying long term, I'd sell it and buy another in Canada . The cost seams prohibitive to import.

I've seen two SLK200's in SoCal. One with USA plates and another I could not recognize (euro style). I assume in Canada it's the same way. Check with the Canadian DMV or what ever they call it.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys to be really honest i was in the United arab emirates a year back and made the mistake of lending 20 thousand dollars to a used car deal thier. its been over a year and i havent received my money. The person who owes me the money is willing to give me the car which i find would minimize my losses or less. as far as the shipping its around 1500 dollars to canada. and tslick, i dont understand what you mean by run in the mill 350, is that a good thing or bad. and another thing to be really honest i have a lower middle class income and that 20 thousand was what i saved in the past 6-7 years so if i have to pay lets say 6-7 thousand to get it here and duties and what not i still think its worth it because the car is around 35 thousand in canada, i was thinking drive it a year or so dunno if ill ever drive another mercedes after this one and than sell it.
i hope u guys understand
regards

·
Registered
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Guys to be really honest i was in the United arab emirates a year back and made the mistake of lending 20 thousand dollars to a used car deal thier. its been over a year and i havent received my money. The person who owes me the money is willing to give me the car which i find would minimize my losses or less. as far as the shipping its around 1500 dollars to canada. and tslick, i dont understand what you mean by run in the mill 350, is that a good thing or bad. and another thing to be really honest i have a lower middle class income and that 20 thousand was what i saved in the past 6-7 years so if i have to pay lets say 6-7 thousand to get it here and duties and what not i still think its worth it because the car is around 35 thousand in canada, i was thinking drive it a year or so dunno if ill ever drive another mercedes after this one and than sell it.
i hope u guys understand
regards

I would wonder what kind of shape it would be in if the guy is letting it go.

More PM's sent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have friends down their who were able to pressure him into giving me the car and they checked it out and even got it checked by the mercedes benz dealership and the car is in good condition with 39 thousand kilometers on it, the body is in excellent shape and it has the winter and summer driving options along with heated seats and the command system with a mini disc and cd player along with a cd changer in the glove compartment. so all in all the car is fine... and if thiers anyone familiar with how the japanese let go of 4-5 year old cars knows that thiers a chance ur gonna get the car really cheap. and once again guys thanx for all the responses, never even thought thier were such communities out thier on the net, i know now to go streight to the net for all my problems. and at the same time ill help whom ever i can out cause i know its recipricol.

·
Registered
186 Posts
yahyah86....

I think you might be in for a tough go. Even importing a car from the U.S. is hard.

Here's some more info from Mercedes, but again keep in mind this is talking about the U.S. to Canada.
http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/index.cfm?id=6871

One thing that is a bit weird with Mercedes cars is Transport Canada seems to want Mercedes to say it meets Canadian standards, rather than you doing it. Something that catches U.S. importers is the speedometer has to display Metric. (kph). SLK speedometers don't display both, so what they wanted one guy to do is change the cluster, which is an expensive proposition. I think the total cost was going to be $5k to $7k for all the mods, and the guy gave up. It probably depends if you can find a friendly dealer or not. Now, I can't quite picture if a LHD Japan car coming from UAE would be in KM or miles, so you might not hit that issue, but there also might be other issues. I'm not sure even Mercedes would know.

There is a link in the above page where you can request a letter of admissibility from Mercedes. Not sure if it will work for this car, but worth a shot.

Can you sell it for more than $20k in UAE? That still might be your best option.

Best of luck!

Dang

·
Registered
986 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i know a lot of people in canada who have imported right hand cars direct from japan, the only thing im concerned about is the recall letter and the iso emergency brake light. i have emailed both transport canada and mercedes canada and am waiting for a response from both. also the seat belt tether might b a concern but im pretty sure its the same with all specs. but anyways im gonna go to my neigborhood mercedes dealer ship 2morrow and find out about all the hassles.

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
Guys to be really honest i was in the United arab emirates a year back and made the mistake of lending 20 thousand dollars to a used car deal their. its been over a year and i haven't received my money. The person who owes me the money is willing to give me the car which i find would minimize my losses or less. as far as the shipping its around 1500 dollars to canada. and tslick, i dont understand what you mean by run in the mill 350, is that a good thing or bad. and another thing to be really honest i have a lower middle class income and that 20 thousand was what i saved in the past 6-7 years so if i have to pay lets say 6-7 thousand to get it here and duties and what not i still think its worth it because the car is around 35 thousand in canada, i was thinking drive it a year or so dunno if ill ever drive another mercedes after this one and than sell it.
i hope u guys understand
regards
All of this makes sense now.

First choice, sell the car in the UAE and take the money.

Second choice, pressure the used car dealer to sell it or something else and return your money.

Third choice, get the car. It's not impossible to change the things that differ, and it is an SLK after all. I'm sure there are are folks here who can help you through the various issues associated with the move...

·
Registered
986 Posts
I would sell it there.

transport costs and hassle are dead money you can't get back.

plus it will always be less desriable having no local history, meaning it will be difficult for you to know just how much value it has lost.

How then do you work out how much the guy still owes you?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.