Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all of you R170 owners a word of wisdom. Most have not encountered an issue with the central brain of the SLK230 security system called the immobilizer which literally shuts down any ability to start the car. I am new to this car and had one hell of a $1500 reality check. Something in the system fried when attempting to start the car rendering the key inoperable. The starter motor would not turn, doc I spent two days and multiple tows to boil it down to an inevitable and unavoidable dealer service costing $1100. This car is in excellent condition with just $42k miles and garaged for life. So if your key doesn't work and your mechanic can bypass the electronics to run the starter motor, you are Inc for a pricey dealer service for the security immobilizer system which only dealers can buy parts for.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had this on my SLK last year. Took me quite a while to diagnose the fault. The driver authorisation module (DAS) failed and a new one needs coding to the keys and engine CPU. Can only be done by the Dealer and they wanted nearly £2,000 to do job. It's quite a big job as the module is behind the instrument cluster and it all needs coding so lots of labour involved.
I managed to sort mine out by buying a DAS, engine CPU and keys from a scrapped SLK. I swapped the ECU, DAS and the blades from the old keys to the new ones. Fired up straight away when it was all put back together.
Took a day to swap all the bits over but only cost me £200. Was very pleased with the result and saved £1,800!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2004 slk 320 is at the dealership as we speak for the same reason. Does anyone know of a way to bypass the immobilizer? It?s really bad technology and useless IMO.
Any help would be much appreciated

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.