Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! Cannot deactivate immobilization feature. Restoring 2001 320, and have probably 'messed' with everything on car. Suddenly, the motor will start for a second, 3 times and then will not turn over, gas cover is locked, trunk will not unlock without reaching inside', etc. Have tried the items mentioned here about pressing lock/unlock on key, pulling #9 fuse. Have tried tracing circuit in Mercedes electrical manuals- to no avail. Any suggestions are appreciated

Reactions: Avel Du

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
3,480 Posts
Hi,

Immobiliser is called "Drive Authorisation" in MB terminology.

Your 320 V6 uses ME2.8 Engine Electronics, and the R170 has a unique Starting Circuit compared to every other MB, (don't ask me how long it took for me to figure that out), and thus find the work around for my V8 Conversion ;)

It sounds from your 3 tries description that it is indeed a "Drive Auth" issue.

As Myk correctly says, no other machine will do, this has to go on SDS to see which parts are Authorising Drive and which are not.

This system works on # technology, in laymans terms it is not hard wired, computer signals all have to give a handshake before it sets "Drive Authorised" ;)

So it might be Key, Key Reader Ring (around Ignition barrell), DAS / RF Module (FBS2b behind Instrument Cluster) or the ME2.8 (Engine ECU in your Right Front Electronics Box) that is the problem, or less likely maybe the wiring between them.

Don't try swapping bits from other Cars they are all matched at the Factory and even SDS can only program them if they are "Virginised" or Brand New, they lock after approximately 40 Engine Starts.

So the nuts of it is this, get proper diagnosis first, and if Drive Auth is definitely the problem, either consult an expert who can virginise a used module, or buy brand new, it can then be set up on SDS.
The other (likely cheapest option) is to buy a complete "Theft Relevant" set of parts from a breaker, but I repeat they must all come from the same good running Car or that will not work.

The set is made up of Key, DAS / RF Module, ME ECU, Ignition Lock Barrel, Door Lock Barrel and Boot (Trunk) Lock Barrel again ALL must be from the same good running Car ;)

If you can't get the set to include Lock Barrels with care you can swap the actual blade from your cars Key by pressing out the small pin, but you must use the actual Electronic fob bit that goes with the set ;)

If it is just the ME ECU, I have a good buddy in CA who can likely help you, he does this stuff for a living and could easily clone just the ME ECU by post, as can I, (but postage costs are prohibitive for me as you are outside UK) ............

I can put you in touch if you wish when you have a proper diagnosis.

HTH,

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,349 Posts
@Dave2302 is spot on there.

Even having the circuit diagram would not help here - until you know what's causing the immobilisation to take place.

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
3,480 Posts
Even having the circuit diagram would not help here - until you know what's causing the immobilisation to take place.
+1 .... Thanks,

Hopefully, the SDS will show that the "Drive Authorisation" is all good, and then it will be a DIY Fix, like maybe a Circuit down somewhere, so in that case depending what SDS says one of us can get you the right Diagram(s) ;)

I have the Mitchells for all the R170 V6 Engine and Starting Circuits, and these are IMHO much easier to work with than that travesty that Mercedes call WD's ;)

HTH,

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

Immobiliser is called "Drive Authorisation" in MB terminology.

Your 320 V6 uses ME2.8 Engine Electronics, and the R170 has a unique Starting Circuit compared to every other MB, (don't ask me how long it took for me to figure that out), and thus find the work around for my V8 Conversion ;)

It sounds from your 3 tries description that it is indeed a "Drive Auth" issue.

As Myk correctly says, no other machine will do, this has to go on SDS to see which parts are Authorising Drive and which are not.

This system works on # technology, in laymans terms it is not hard wired, computer signals all have to give a handshake before it sets "Drive Authorised" ;)

So it might be Key, Key Reader Ring (around Ignition barrell), DAS / RF Module (FBS2b behind Instrument Cluster) or the ME2.8 (Engine ECU in your Right Front Electronics Box) that is the problem, or less likely maybe the wiring between them.

Don't try swapping bits from other Cars they are all matched at the Factory and even SDS can only program them if they are "Virginised" or Brand New, they lock after approximately 40 Engine Starts.

So the nuts of it is this, get proper diagnosis first, and if Drive Auth is definitely the problem, either consult an expert who can virginise a used module, or buy brand new, it can then be set up on SDS.
The other (likely cheapest option) is to buy a complete "Theft Relevant" set of parts from a breaker, but I repeat they must all come from the same good running Car or that will not work.

The set is made up of Key, DAS / RF Module, ME ECU, Ignition Lock Barrel, Door Lock Barrel and Boot (Trunk) Lock Barrel again ALL must be from the same good running Car ;)

If you can't get the set to include Lock Barrels with care you can swap the actual blade from your cars Key by pressing out the small pin, but you must use the actual Electronic fob bit that goes with the set ;)

If it is just the ME ECU, I have a good buddy in CA who can likely help you, he does this stuff for a living and could easily clone just the ME ECU by post, as can I, (but postage costs are prohibitive for me as you are outside UK) ............

I can put you in touch if you wish when you have a proper diagnosis.

HTH,
Many thanks- I have read a lot of 'stuff' concerning problem- you have the most logical 'fix' to the problem. Will let you know. Again, thanks a lot. Don

Reactions: Dave2302 and savcom
1 - 7 of 7 Posts