Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people, just bought my second SLK - a 1996 car which is a non-runner due to a gearbox fault (not staying in drive).

Some of you might recognise the car? First registered with P38OEH then a couple of private plates: 225 DWR and DEB 54V now on P514 HUX.

The paint/bodywork is in good shape. Hopefully the gearbox problem (and any other problems it might have) can be overcome - wish me luck!

I joined in May 2016 after buying a 1997 SLK which soon developed a gearbox fault (which I fixed) before selling the car on. I'm hopeful my previous experience might help me this time around.

I like the fact my new car is a 1996 car as 'how many left' seems to suggest only 90 are registered on the road and 26 are registered SORN (mine is one of those).

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,223 Posts
Welcome back! Hope you can get the gearbox fixed.

Reactions: cliveski

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,406 Posts
Welcome back, and good luck with getting your SLK back on the road! :tu:

We have quite a few members in the Midlands (including several in Northants, and at least one other R170 owner in Corby) that like to meet up from time to time, although things tend to be a little quieter during the winter months. If you're interested in joining us sometime, just keep an eye on the UK Region section, as we post meeting plans there! :tu:

There is a summary post that I maintain for our UK meets ( here ). Links to examples and pictures from last year's meets are available here. We're a friendly group, and always happy to welcome new members at any of our meets.

Finally, we also recently started plotting where our UK members are - check out the thread for that here: SLKWorld UK & Ireland Members and Meeting Points Map

Thank you
Dave

Reactions: cliveski

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,285 Posts
Being in Canada and not totally familiar with UK idioms, what is SORN ??

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone.

SORN stands for statutory off road notice - basically means the car is registered but not being kept on the road / driven on the road so you don't need to pay for road tax.

Some would be 'broken down' maybe never to return to the road, others might just be being kept in a garage over winter.

I'm hopeful I can find someone local with carsoft or star to scan my cars fault codes - last time I bought carsoft software then sold it on. Grrrr.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.