Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mechanics and engine petrol heads prepare to start laughing!!!!

I've posted previously that I want to act various mods to the car to the left, a 2010 petrol 171 200 Kompressor. I had an amazing telephone conversation with a MB distributor that was willing to add 3rd party items to the car with the obvious labour cost. I thought that MB were pretty strict about 3rd party items being 'handled' by their staff, not so.

So here's the question...one of the mods being considered was the addition of the following: Eibach, Bilstein or H&R suspension kits with lowering links.

Question 1: Do I stick to the package that has been included on the car which is the sports package which has 'apparently' had the car height lowered by 10mm. Even the car sometimes looks like a 4 X 4? Is that kit able to be lowered by a further 2-5 mms?
Apparently MB don't do an uprated suspension kit. (tell me otherwise if you know differently).

Question 2: If a third party kit is added, will consideration be needed for the 'sports' gearing or is that totally separate?

Question 3: I'm considering adding a K&N High flow air filter E-2011, good idea or bad idea for the SLK. We have added air filters on older cars and they have been tested and been found to add BHP (not a lot but some).

Right you can stop laughing now:biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Mechanics and engine petrol heads prepare to start laughing!!!!

I've posted previously that I want to act various mods to the car to the left, a 2010 petrol 171 200 Kompressor. I had an amazing telephone conversation with a MB distributor that was willing to add 3rd party items to the car with the obvious labour cost. I thought that MB were pretty strict about 3rd party items being 'handled' by their staff, not so.

So here's the question...one of the mods being considered was the addition of the following: Eibach, Bilstein or H&R suspension kits with lowering links.

Question 1: Do I stick to the package that has been included on the car which is the sports package which has 'apparently' had the car height lowered by 10mm. Even the car sometimes looks like a 4 X 4? Is that kit able to be lowered by a further 2-5 mms?
Apparently MB don't do an uprated suspension kit. (tell me otherwise if you know differently).

Question 2: If a third party kit is added, will consideration be needed for the 'sports' gearing or is that totally separate?

Question 3: I'm considering adding a K&N High flow air filter E-2011, good idea or bad idea for the SLK. We have added air filters on older cars and they have been tested and been found to add BHP (not a lot but some).

Right you can stop laughing now:biglaugh:
That's not a single question but a whole heap ...

1. OEM available are some blocks wedged on the rear suspension they come from number 1 till 4 which marginally lift/lower the car. The 4x4 look has more to do with the standard 16" rims that are on the 200. Eibach etc. are lowering your car by 20-30 mm, there is no lowering kit for 5 mm available.

2. The gearing is not affected when lowering the car.

3. Had K&N myself (R171 350), just a tad improvement. More use is to replace the airbox when you're in there. There is a sports-airbox available for the 350 from MB that has extra 'holes' in them for more air and a bit of sound difference. It may be beneficial to see if something like that is also available for your 200.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your helpful advice.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can do a search for K&N filters. Lots of discussion about K&N vs. Green vs. Paper. It can be a bit of a touchy subject. ;)

I've run K&N on my cars for years, but they were older, with carburetors. There is concern about the oil fouling the MAF. That said, I just put a set in my SLK about 4 days ago and so far so good.

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Air filters - not an issue..

Lowering - sometimes over done IMHO. As stated above, go to 17 or 18 inch rims and lower profile tires will improve the look while maintaining driveability. IF you do lower it, one question I would want answered - does the kit take out some camber with the lowering?? If it doesn't balance the lowering and camber you will eat up tires like "crisps".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts