Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Stopped to fill up the Mercedes this morning and while waiting for the pump to finish (I use the slowest speed setting) I had a patron come up and talk to me. The conversation went a little like this:

Him: Nice Mercedes!
Me: Thank you Sir!
Him: Why do you have an AMG logo on the back?
Me: Because it's an AMG...
Him: AMG doesn't make an SLK
Me: They did. Look at the quad tips and beefy brakes. I can show you the engine if you'd like.
Him: That's dumb. Why would they drop a motor like that in this car. Seems like a waste.
Me: Well thanks for the compliment, but I've got to go.

I took the nozzle out and drove off. Still confused as to where this guy gets his information.

·
Registered
3 Posts
He probably wasn't much of a car enthusiast. I've had people come up to me saying there 's no such thing as a srt-6 when I drove my cousin's car...gotta love the world we live in lol

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
I can't deal with people like that! I would have just said something like...."Thanks for all the information Einstein"! But with all due respect, it wouldn't be because you live in Tennessee would it? :tu: (Just kidding)

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Him: That's dumb. Why would they drop a motor like that in this car. Seems like a waste.
Yea... Why would AMG drop a powerful motor into a small/light car? :confused: That's crazy! I think the proper response to his "AMG doesn't make an SLK" is to simply not say anything and pop the hood next time.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't deal with people like that! I would have just said something like...."Thanks for all the information Einstein"! But with all due respect, it wouldn't be because you live in Tennessee would it? :tu: (Just kidding)
I hate filling up. It's the only time when I'm near my car for multiple minutes and completely exposed to the public. I love quick good looking cars, but not the attention that comes with them. I do my best to be a good brand ambassador though.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea... Why would AMG drop a powerful motor into a small/light car? :confused: That's crazy! I think the proper response to his "AMG doesn't make an SLK" is to simply not say anything and pop the hood next time.
I have larger intake tubes going to the back of the motor so no engine cover and I don't think most people know what a V8 looks like anymore. Mercedes isn't known for making pretty motors.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have larger intake tubes going to the back of the motor so no engine cover and I don't think most people know what a V8 looks like anymore. Mercedes isn't known for making pretty motors.
True that, with a few exceptions. The M102 16V engine is lovely, with those long-tube headers. Likewise the 3.0-liter six in the original 300SL, and the M119 V8. But the more modern ones, not so much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts