Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Illuminated windscreen question

4K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  DansSlk 
#1 ·
Last week I received my AMG illuminated windscreen from windrestrictor.com, but it did not come with any directions regarding the wiring hook-up. I was wondering if anyone had an R171 and has either gome to a dealer, car-audio place, or done the hook-up themselves. Any info would be much appreciated.

#10 ·
Does anyone know if the screens from this company are "angled" to prevent glare in the rear view mirror? I seem to recall that this one thing was mentioned in another thread as the mark of a quality windscreen. Would you buy the version 1 model at 1/8" or the version 2 at 1/4"?

DoctorDuece, what color illumination did you opt for?

#12 ·
I would suggest wiring it to your Fog lights or add a switch to turn it on or off.

I find there are times I like it on, (When I want to be "flashy".:) ), and times I don't want it on.

I have mine wired to my fog lights so I can turn it on when I want it on.

We have cars that stands out from the crowd. People expect "Flashyness" from a car like this. It's called STYLE! That's why people buy after market rims, Body kits, darken tail light lenses, Spoilers, trunk lips, almost any mod you can think of.

If you like it, do it.

You won't please everyone here and ultimatly you only want to please yourself.:soap:

So have fun with it.

SLKman:tu:

#14 ·
The screens are angled. I got mine from them, as did SLKman, though his experience was not as enjoyable, huh Brent? And I got the 1/4" one, the 1/8" might flex a little too much for your liking.[/quote]

Thanks Kevin. That's what I'll go with then. For mine, I will get the AMG lettering, and illumination. I will try to wire to the foglights as well so I can control my "flashiness". :)

#15 ·
Yeah, I really like the windscreen, just not the constant excuses of why it took so long to get. Almost 3 months. Course, he was just starting out so maybe now he has an inventory and can ship asap.? I would confirm he has it in stock before ordering.

SLKman:tu:

#16 ·
From what i understand, the lighting is very subtle? I would have it etched and lit in red to go with my tailights with a Kleyman flasher module!

#18 ·
I went to the dealer today and no luck! They said they would only install Mercedes parts. You would think that being in an affluent area here, they would have people wanting to add sutle modifications and take care of their customers. Its not like they don't know the internal wiring of the car. That got me pissed...I called one car audio place and one body shop and they were no help. I will be trying 2 more places tommorrow.

I have the AMG logo etched low-center on the windscreen, so it will appear to 'sit' in between the headrests. The car is Alabaster white, and I thought that the red LEDs would be a nice contrast to that color (with red/black interior, with carbon trim) and compliment the tail lights.

I have not yet mounted the windscreen. I want the whole thing done in one shot. SLKman...how did you wire it to the fog lights??? I think that would be the best option.

As to those who think that this mod is too flashy...I thought the same thing at first. But, after contimplating it...its not over the top and it is very unique. Definitley a cool conversation piece on the street. Just another thing do have people drool over about our cars!

G
#19 ·
Thought they would say that most dealers steer clear of anything thats not OEM for various different reasons.

Why don't you wire it yourself? Its only 2 wires and if you use the light in the storage bin on the back wall its a 5 minute job even for a total novice.

#21 ·
hmm...you should have got instructions on this with it..just saw the following on their site:

Is it difficult to hook up the wiring for the illumination? No, it is actually simple there are 2 wires one can be grounded to the body of your car by placing the negative wire behind a metal nut and tightening it and the positive wire hooks to the brake lamp or driving lamp wire located in the harness in the trunk. We include step by step instructions on how to do this or if you would prefer to have someone else do it you can take it to a local car audio shop or dealership so they can do it for you.

#22 ·
I called the site that I bought it from and asked them if they had any instructions to send me regarding the wiring. They said that they did not have anything to send. (They did send instructions explaining how to munt the windscreen originally). The total of 4 wires only has about 2 feet (if that) of slack...I don't know if that would be enough to get that into the harness on the trunk.
Here are my questions up to this point in the topic:
1) Could the wires be run to the 12V wires in the console?
2) How would they attach?
3) Would this cause the lights to be on all the time and how what type, if any drain will it have on the rest of the electical?
I don;t mean to harp on this...its just that I want it done right and done soon, without damaging anything or making it look half-assed.

G
#23 ·
I called the site that I bought it from and asked them if they had any instructions to send me regarding the wiring. They said that they did not have anything to send. (They did send instructions explaining how to munt the windscreen originally). The total of 4 wires only has about 2 feet (if that) of slack...I don't know if that would be enough to get that into the harness on the trunk.
Here are my questions up to this point in the topic:
1) Could the wires be run to the 12V wires in the console?
2) How would they attach?
3) Would this cause the lights to be on all the time and how what type, if any drain will it have on the rest of the electical?
I don;t mean to harp on this...its just that I want it done right and done soon, without damaging anything or making it look half-assed.
OK well first off we need to figure out why there are 4 wires my guess being 2 different LED clusters but thats something you should check with the people who make it before doing anything.

Now ideally you would solder this all together but since that can be harder than it sounds working on tiny wires without experience it will be easier to use wire taps, so if we assume for the moment that there are 2 12V wires and 2 GND's you would tap one of the 12V's to its twin and do the same with the GND so we only need to make one tap on each of the MB wires.

Then you would take your 12V and GND wires and tap them to the corresponding wires in the storage bin, i mean the one that runs up the back wall of the car in between the seats and houses the 2 speakers at the top.

And thats it the light will now be on at the same time as the light in the storage bin and will always be off when the ignition is off so no extra drain on any of the electrical system, the taps are easy to use you have 2 channels inside each housing one has a stopper in it and the other allows a wire to pass right out the other side you take the wire you want to tap to another and push it into the tap right up until it hits the stop then side the wire being tapped into the housing via the open side (you will know exactly what i mean when you see the taps) once both wires are in place use a pliers or something similar to compress the metal "blade" down flush with the top of the tap housing this makes the connections between the wires now close the "lid" of the tap housing again using the pliers to secure it all, oh and wrap it all in fabric tape or if thats not available electrical tape.

#25 ·
if there are 2 led clusters, then yeah, there would be two power(12v) and 2 ground wires. Like Dan said, to make it simple, connect the two power wires together, and do the same with the ground wires, so you only have to tap into the MB wiring twice.

Have you decided when you want it to be illuminated yet? If you want it to be illuminated when the storage bin light is on and off when the ignition is off, then yes, connect the way that Dan described. If you want it to be illuminated when the front headlights or brake lights are on, then you'll have to connect to those wires instead.

G
#27 ·
Hi,

The 12V line in the storage bin will provide plenty of power to run the LED's don't worry.

The light is not on a delay it comes on when you turn the key into position 1 in the ignition and goes off when you turn the key back to 0, no dimming effects and no time delay its good the they don't dim to be honest with you because not all LED's are designed to do that most are either on or off.

Best thing to do is go out to your car lower the cover on the bin then play about with they key then you will know exactly when its on and when its off.

#28 ·
Things seem to be headed in the right direction. I called a place close by that does car lighting and they said the wiring could be done next week or two.
I have a question based on the last post. Will the storage light be off, and thus the LED light off, if the bin door is closed (similar to that of a refrigerator door being closed and the light is off, until you open the door)?

#29 ·
it doesn't seem to go off in my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.