Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Australia! :wink:

I've had my baby SLK200 - 2008 (upgrade) for 1 year. Shes a dream to drive, and all is going extremely well. (except for the rattle within the trunk) am slowly getting used to it. There are loads of "fix its" in many forums.

Apart from that - its now the time to PIMP my ride! i.e BLING :x

I would love to have the my gorgeous star illuminated. I spoke to MB and they said "perhaps in the future" one day will this be available for SLK's.

Can anyone provide me with a guide on a "How to" guide -(make one your self!) without the light and or car blowing up!!! hahaha

Has anyone tried this, and been successful? if so, please let me know. Someone did tell me about a guy who can make the star for you, for a small cost of $350 - has anyone else heard this? Thanking you all in advance.0:)

Cheers
Benz

·
Founding Member 2006
108,881 Posts

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,881 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey peeps! great info. Thanks. So - ummmm can someone make me one, and send it! am happy to pay $$$$$

A few months back, hubby and his brother said they would try to make me one (as a birthday gift) they even bought a new star just in case they stuffed up the original emblem....After much discussion we all got into an argument about it - why? I was asking far too many questions, wtf? I think I ended up convincing them they wont be able to make me the Bling star - funny story... Both of them are not interested now. GREAT!!!

Cheers
Benz (my name is Mercedes)

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
There's a quick primer on Electroluminescent Panel as it is used in a car on YouTube: use DIY EL Light Panel for your search.

The good part is that EL panel uses 12V DC.

For the front illuminated star, you can tap power from the front side marker lamp or missing this (in European R171) you can tap power from the front "parking" lamp. This if you wan't it illuminated when you turn on the side marker lamp or parking lamp.

The tricky part is figuring out how to "attach" the EL at the back part of the front grill.

Reactions: mercedes26

·
Founding Member 2006
108,881 Posts
you might have to be satisfied with this

·
Founding Member 2006
108,881 Posts
That's certainly some bling. Hmm, not really me though. Love diamonds - hahah - but I wonder how long it will take before someone peels them off.
how about this instead?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,881 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,881 Posts
sticks on...do it yourself

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts

The tricky part is figuring out how to "attach" the EL at the back part of the front grill.
I just checked: on the R171, one may be able to use a small diameter nut& bolt set-up to go through small holes punched or drilled out from the EL panel and the small diamond-shaped openings at the flat backing of the three-pointed star. Insert small black bolt from front and tighten the nut from the back sandwiching the EL panel maybe at 3 or 4 places.

If only I have the spare time .....

Does anyone know the current draw from the 12V DC module for the El panel? Will the small gauge wire used to supply power to the side markers be enough to tap into or will it overheat?

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
I will ask hubby - thanks Eddy. Wish me luck! DIY EL Light Panel for your search.
Totally do-able: probably a fun weekend project.

If hubby is convinced, please document the project with photo tutorial and post in this forum.

And ...

Ask him to make a second one from white EL panel (parcel post to me) and I will do some field testing on this side of the hemisphere. Just kidding of course.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK280
674 Posts
Hello from Australia! :wink:

I've had my baby SLK200 - 2008 (upgrade) for 1 year. Shes a dream to drive, and all is going extremely well. (except for the rattle within the trunk) am slowly getting used to it. There are loads of "fix its" in many forums.

Apart from that - its now the time to PIMP my ride! i.e BLING :x

I would love to have the my gorgeous star illuminated. I spoke to MB and they said "perhaps in the future" one day will this be available for SLK's.

Can anyone provide me with a guide on a "How to" guide -(make one your self!) without the light and or car blowing up!!! hahaha

Has anyone tried this, and been successful? if so, please let me know. Someone did tell me about a guy who can make the star for you, for a small cost of $350 - has anyone else heard this? Thanking you all in advance.0:)

Cheers
Benz

there was a guy on this forum, he is from Singapore, he "mass produced" this star for our car. It is almost plug and play. you can also find him on facebook (check his thread on this forum). He offered to sale it for $200/each. I wonder if we order a few, how much lower can he goes for...

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
there was a guy on this forum, he is from Singapore, he "mass produced" this star for our car. It is almost plug and play. you can also find him on facebook (check his thread on this forum). He offered to sale it for $200/each. I wonder if we order a few, how much lower can he goes for...
You're right that there used to be someone on Facebook that used to create and sell these illuminated stars.

I don't like to be the bearer of bad news... However, last I heard from the R171 group on Facebook, he'd totally disappeared from Facebook and a couple of people that had tried to find him, but couldn't... :(

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
I've asked someone I know that got one of them for their SLK last November. I'll update again here if I find out anything useful.

Reactions: etyu
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.