Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Members

Can anyone confirm whether or not the following part number for ignition tumbler work on '99 SLK230?

P/N A2024601104

Ignition switch sticks sometimes. It still works, however there is some play in the barrell.

I would like to change it before it dies completely.

I welcome all opinions

Thanks

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,392 Posts
first moving your post to the r170 general discussion section

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t already.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’!
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car). http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
97,392 Posts
Post your vin and we can look up the part number and confirm it for you

·
97,392 Posts
part 50

tumbler without lock a2024601104 is correct

Attachments

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hi Members

Can anyone confirm whether or not the following part number for ignition tumbler work on '99 SLK230?

P/N A2024601104

Ignition switch sticks sometimes. It still works, however there is some play in the barrell.

I would like to change it before it dies completely.

I welcome all opinions

Thanks
Hi and welcome from Houston, TX!
My advice is to check the lock and tumbler and change it before it dead locks! I had mine wiggling for a while and then just went ahead and changed the whole assembly. I heard that our ignition locks fail so early because they are so sensitive and this causes early wearing. From now on I always keep my wheels straight before turning the car off and taking the key out of ignition to prolong the ignition lock's life.
You need a special tool to remove the tumbler. But what I'm trying to say is that changing the tumbler alone might not solve the issue.
If it happens that your ignition key locks dead then it will require some drilling and additional labor. I can try to ask my friend who works at the dealership to locate the part number for that tool so we can all have it =)

·
Registered
18 Posts
cheap solution to a tricky ignition switch

As the diagram shows,,,in part number 10 there is a little square chamber, that has a shiny thin metal cover, almost like tin,,it measures more or less 1 square centimeter....Lift the metal thin cover,,,inmediatele you are going to find a spiral spring that pushes a little steel ball,,,,,,that steel ball is the one that blocks the shift or turning of the key,,,eliminate the spring and the steel ball, put back the metal cover over the empty chamber and voila,,,,,,your problem is solved,,,,,,the key is going to move like silk and will never give you problems,,,,,I did it a year ago,,, and I can´t be happier......you have nothing to loose cause at the dealer shop they want to sell you the whole switch for almost a thousand dollars...... I did it on a try and error basis and worked even the steering wheel lock keep working.....Hope it helps you

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
Unless you can force the situation to reach the desired result, changing the ignition barrel will require a new key blade for the main key of the car, and use the old key body for the proximity (drive) logic and the old key body/fob for the remote function.
But the other three key locks in the car (boot, driver's door and glove box) will still be on the old key blade, so you will want a simple way to have these to the same standard.

So, if you are buying new, try to get the lock to the existing defined standard. Since you can order a key from MB for your existing locks, you should be able to order a lock to the existing key.
If you are buying second-hand, then be sure to get the full set, with good backlash in the lock, and preferably with two blades. Note that getting a blade cut has proved problematic in the past.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Could you draw something to show these parts? I see the diagram you refer to. Is the silver part the chrome circle the key goes through?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.