Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered 1998 SLK230
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all here's a thing which has plexed a few folks, intermittent running, we all been there at some point weather it be a Ford or French, have looked at some threads and here's my take on it, the ignition has to be changed out as for mucking about trying in vain to sort or even bypass, only solution is to replace it, once done no more embarrassing situation, apart from ya bonnet up its a dead give away so off to mercedes to buy a new switch I'll let ya know how it all goes... 馃檮

Registered 1998 SLK230
Discussion Starter #2
Heya slk lovers,
Just when ya start to like ya car more is when it's running like a dream alls good, but when it gives ya stick, ya pocket can empty faster than an slk goes, so after all is said and done this is my take on a few items of interest.
Ignition switches, here's a clue if it's on its way out then sort it sooner rather than later,
With lateral acc sensors and dash clocks going lala,
Ig switch is the main connection for the car to operate, so before ya get high as a kite, don't forget these parts are designed for ten years, without the ig switch, pretty much everything is not gonna work properly if the power is weak, everything starts as soon ya turn the key, so recap,
Make sure battery and charging system is good, multi meter,
Remember
Ig switch is pretty much the main culprit in all of the slk's make sure that's good and the rest is history... :cool:

Registered 2002 SLK320
Hi,

I am not being confrontational etc etc, but, IMHO ...........

I simply do not see how a duff Ignition switch will affect Ckt 30 and Ckt 15 Voltages at Modules, bearing in mind the Ignition Switch activates Relays within the K40 that power these other Systems that you mention.

Ignition Switch is not noted for regularly giving problems on these cars, like they are on f.e. a Kia, but yes, they can sometimes give grief, which can be verified by looking at the loaded Voltage Outputs in varios Modules compared to B+ Voltage, either with SDS or a good Multimeter and Wiring Diagram ;)

HTH :)

Registered 1998 SLK230
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

I am not being confrontational etc etc, but, IMHO ...........

I simply do not see how a duff Ignition switch will affect Ckt 30 and Ckt 15 Voltages at Modules, bearing in mind the Ignition Switch activates Relays within the K40 that power these other Systems that you mention.

Ignition Switch is not noted for regularly giving problems on these cars, like they are on f.e. a Kia, but yes, they can sometimes give grief, which can be verified by looking at the loaded Voltage Outputs in varios Modules compared to B+ Voltage, either with SDS or a good Multimeter and Wiring Diagram ;)

HTH :)
Hi cheers for that I have tested all of the circuit and it's pointing to the ignition switch it's one of those parts that used a lot ya might not notice it but its used more than ya think dirt can ingres and moisture can play a keen part in power loss of a circuit so now it's only prudent to change the switch as it is 22years of age see its still a teenager growing pains. Slk98

Registered 1998 SLK230
Discussion Starter #5
Well what a day nice too put roof down for a change,, No reverse when cold gearbox filter needs changing out its in the sump and filter only cost 15/20拢 but not as easy to get to hence why it goes to mercedes for a gearbox fuild and filter change.. Now here's a funny thing charged battery alls looking good but went to switch off key came out but engine still running!!!!...

Premium Member 2001 SLK200K, 2001 SLK320
Now here's a funny thing charged battery alls looking good but went to switch off key came out but engine still running!!!!...
Funny, not funny .. Headlight Switch - maybe ..

Poke your nose up around the h/light switch to see if you detect a burning smell. If yes, disconnect the light switch and you should be able to start and stop the engine again but you won't have any lights (obviously).

HTH

Registered 1998 SLK230
Discussion Starter #7
Mm I can't believe that, although I have spent most of the day wizing up on videos marvellous and has put my mind at rest the k40 relays 5 of em the most obvious is number 1 relay and number 4 fuel pump relay have a soldering kit so it's a monday job for me as we're getting hit by storm ciara so stayed tuned.. 馃槑Slk98

1 - 7 of 7 Posts