Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of times recently the ignition key gets stuck when trying to extract it from the lock

I know that sometimes the key wont turn until you wiggle the steering wheel but this is after a journey and want to take it out

To get it out I have to switch the ignition back on and then off again to get it to come out

Did think I would spray wd40 down the lock but not sure what giblets are down the bottom of the lock

·
Registered
734 Posts
I can't imagine that the giblets would react badly to WD40. I use it on everything electrical that needs a clean and never found it to cause a problem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
could be. but you'll not want to drive it until you get it solved. due to the nature of mechanical things it'll fail altogether in a bad neighborhood, with no cell towers. more likely, you'll have to replace the lock. but you can try oiling it. wd isn't oil or lubricant. you can use it to clean the cylinder, then spray in fine 3 in 1 type oil. or silicone.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I had trouble getting the key out of the ignition at times... Then I read the Owners Manual for another reason... and found out why I was having trouble with the key.

Make sure your foot is OFF the brake pedal and the car is fully in "P" Park.. With the ignition key Off. - you should NOT be able to move the gear selector lever out of that position. Remember to remove your foot from the brake pedal..

FWIW,
Carl B.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had trouble getting the key out of the ignition at times... Then I read the Owners Manual for another reason... and found out why I was having trouble with the key.

Make sure your foot is OFF the brake pedal and the car is fully in "P" Park.. With the ignition key Off. - you should NOT be able to move the gear selector lever out of that position. Remember to remove your foot from the brake pedal..

FWIW,
Carl B.
Took me a while to find that out to remove key !!! No oil needed

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't spray WD40 in ignition lock!

Please don't spray WD 40 into your ignition lock you will risk setting fire to your P&J if you do. Use a little light oil on the key.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys,

That is probably it..... Always in a rush!

Thanks by jingo I did wonder

1 - 11 of 11 Posts